My insurance tale

Just spent the last couple of days on the net and the phone trying to improve on my renewal price with Elephant. Elephant wanted £1600 renewal n a 2002 Boxster S 31yrs old with 3 yrs NCB 6 points for speeding.

Went to all the usual suspects, confused.com, AXA, tesco, sainsbury, esure, screentrade, NU, swinton (just for a laugh) Bell direct etc etc

cut a very long and boring story short, went with Bell direct on a 10 month policy for £1254. Managed to haggle them down from £1350. Thought that if I can get my 4 years bonus and protect it in 10 months it may be worth it, and it means I have to pay out less now.

What a pain in the ar*e shopping round for insurance is, heard good things about confused.com but they wanted £2300.

cheers :bana:

Jeeeez !

Do you live in "risky" area or is it the points ?

We are of similar age but my best quote is £600 fro AXA ( bizarrely - on the drive was something like £10 a year more than in the garage!!!)

Luckily, I am free of any points so some sort of detector will pay for itself.

Psst......... I found an old NPI the other day and seemed to have died a death as "we" didn't / weren't able to ascertain who could have been driving(officer :busted: ) ! was a 96 in a 70..........

Thought that if I can get my 4 years bonus and protect it in 10 months it may be worth it, and it means I have to pay out less now.

Word of warning!

When your policy is due for renewal next year, you may find that the majority of insurers will not accept your 10 months bonus and will only allow 3 years and not 4.

:(

Thought that if I can get my 4 years bonus and protect it in 10 months it may be worth it, and it means I have to pay out less now.

Word of warning!

When your policy is due for renewal next year, you may find that the majority of insurers will not accept your 10 months bonus and will only allow 3 years and not 4.

I've heard something along these lines also, I think you will find yourself having to stay with the same company to get use of the fourth NCB. Thats something I was told a few years back but if it is true or not I don't know!!

Word of warning!

I've heard something along these lines also, I think you will find yourself having to stay with the same company to get use of the fourth NCB. Thats something I was told a few years back but if it is true or not I don't know!!

that's what happened to me in the past too!

Spoke to Bell Direct today, which is part of Admiral Insurance they said that they send a proof of NCB that simply states the number of years. They say it has never been a problem.

I was worried when I read your replies so also called round they were still way cheaper so its worth goinf with it.

I think it may be my Girlfrind pushing the price up she is 26 yrs old. I live in Chester, car garaged over night Social Domestic and pleasure over cover.

Spoke to Bell Direct today, which is part of Admiral Insurance they said that they send a proof of NCB that simply states the number of years. They say it has never been a problem.

I was worried when I read your replies so also called round they were still way cheaper so its worth goinf with it.

I think it may be my Girlfrind pushing the price up she is 26 yrs old. I live in Chester, car garaged over night Social Domestic and pleasure over cover.

Im with Bell direct and it was £900 fully protected with business use. Although when I told them on the form I had leather seats they charged me another 90 quid, wish i hadnt mentioned it. :angry:

Im 28, i dont know if the value of your car means its more expensive.

On another point my girlie is 27 and it was actually CHEAPER to have her as a named driver than to not have her on at all (even though she is the worlds worst driver).

That's a stunning price, I've just gone to esure, £532 to leave for the times I can't get the baby into the garage, me and Mrs Baboon, 6 years NCB and protecting the discount (£465 without protection). And I save £100 by not having to renew the tracker !!!!

Jeeeez !

Do you live in "risky" area or is it the points ?

We are of similar age but my best quote is £600 fro AXA ( bizarrely - on the drive was something like £10 a year more than in the garage!!!)

Luckily, I am free of any points so some sort of detector will pay for itself.

Psst......... I found an old NPI the other day and seemed to have died a death as "we" didn't / weren't able to ascertain who could have been driving(officer :busted: ) ! was a 96 in a 70..........

Kev, try esure, they put me and the missus only at £515 protected. Your postcode should be better than mine, as you are NP rather than CF.

Worth a try via the website www.esure.co.uk

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

true story:

I'm 21 years old with no no-claims bonus and just bought a boxster..

To insure just me would cost at best quote around 3 grand..

However, if i put my girlfriend (same age) on as the policy holder and myself as a named driver, cost is now 1300 squid...

fookin shockin!

Had the same thing with my last car as well, so never say women don't have their uses :)

true story:

However, if i put my girlfriend (same age) on as the policy holder and myself as a named driver, cost is now 1300 squid...

fookin shockin!

Had the same thing with my last car as well, so never say women don't have their uses :)

thats a superb price bono... you lead a truly blessed life ;)

Welcome! :D

JC

true story:

fookin shockin!

JC

Downside is that my missus is insured to drive my baby :cry:

true story:

fookin shockin!

JC

Its worse than that, you're also stuck with your missus. So you get caught, or fool around, she walks, your up the swanny so to speak. ;)

Playing with fire, and you now have no independance :ph34r:

true story:

fookin shockin!

JC

Its worse than that, you're also stuck with your missus. So you get caught, or fool around, she walks, your up the swanny so to speak. ;)

I think that ship sailed with the mortgage cat :mellow:

true story:

fookin shockin!

JC

:o ...its a thought... but with the mortage too... wow! at such a tender age you are stitched up like one ;)

JC

true story:

fookin shockin!

JC

:o ...its a thought... but with the mortage too... wow! at such a tender age you are stitched up like one ;)

JC

Kipper? ;)

A word of warning to everyone who's pleased with themselves at getting the cheapest car insurance. As I've found out to my cost, the cheapest insurance is only the best for as long as you don't have to use it.

Ask yourself why the company can be so much cheaper then anyone else. Are they cutting back on things like.........

1. the number of call centre staff (you don't want to wait ages in a phone queue to inform them that your pride and joy has just been pranged)

2. will they let you use an official Porsche bodyshop to do repairs?

3. if you insist on using Porsche as the repairer, does this invalidate your right to the 'free' courtesy car

4. will you eligible for the courtesy car if liability for the accident is still being determined?

Oh, and from personal experience, I would suggest trying to find one that's based fairly local to you (just in case there's another postal strike and you need some important insurance documentation :( ).

Anyway 'you pays your money - you takes your choice'.

My insurance is with Elephant, and as you say, i would expect the cheap premiums to mean a cheap service..

However, I did use them last year when some idiot reversed off his drive into my car (not a porsche, an MG TF)

The were helpful and extremely easy to deal with as long as you don't mind doing business by E-mail. I used MG for the repair, got a courtesy car (though it was a Corsa... still makes my skin crawl), and the recovered the claim very quickley... far better than the more expensive Norwich Union who i was insured with when I wrote off my Saxo (first car.. don't hate me) on the M1.

I am the biggest advocate of "you get what you pay for", but with car insurance I've found that not to be the case.

Archived