Should I declare non-fault claims ?

AndyH

I had my insurance with Bell Direct last year at cost of £1080 which I was pretty happy with given my central London (W1) address and on street parking. I'm 31, 8 years no claims (protected), no convctions or points ever, tracker (not required)

In march last Year, an absolute "£$%! in £200 VW backed into me in a car park, at about 2 mph, whilst I was stationary. Absolutely no debate over liability, and I refused to fill out the claim form from Bell, as I had no intention of claiming anything. The repair bill was about £1000, which the other guy's insurance company settled direct with AFN, and Bell had no involvement or cost whatsoever, not even a phone call.

This year my renewal came through at £1453 !!! and Bell's explanation was that I had had a claim thus raising my apparnet risk factor. That's about a 34% increase for absolutely nothing! They scam you to buy no claims protection and then raise your premium anyway.

My question is.....what happens if I don't mention this incident when looking for new quotes ?

Any thoughts ?

Am i reading this correctly, are you saying that YOU have not made a claim, although the person who bumped you, put it through their insurance?

If thats the case, you will have to check the wording on quotes, and identify if they ask about claims, or accidents. Then make your own decision

My question is.....what happens if I don't mention this incident when looking for new quotes ?

They are all computerised / linked as far as i know and they will probably be aware anyway.

IMO Id be very carefull about non disclosure, you may then not be insured yourself

Thanks guys !

I've done quite a bit of shopping around already, but will continue. Esure won't even give me a quote with my postcode and no garage.

Is there onyone out there with a London postcode, street parking, and a premium under £1000 ?

Many call centres are scripted, ours goes something along the lines of

"have you had any accidents or losses, in the last 5 years, regardless of blame, whether a claim was made or not"

Bell may have logged the incident on a central database which all insurers have access to. they can find a match from name, date of birth, postcode or reg...... no where to hide I'm afraid in the world of "big brother"

The usual reason for the increase in your premium, is that all the facts and figures the underwriters compile, points that you are twice as likely to make another claim in the next 12 months if you have been involved in an incident in the past year.

hope this makes sense, my head hurts now!

I have just renewed my insurance after my Boxster / deer interface issue, and the premium went up by about £40 so long as I no longer have protected no claims - to keep it protected was going to cost another £300 !!!. I am still on max no claims (as it was protected when I got attacked), if I have another claim in the next two years I will go down to about 50% no claims - which would still be less annually than paying the extra £300 - are you keeping up with this ???? :D .

The bottom line was it was not worth going for the protected no claims, and the policy only went up by £30.

The bit that did make me laugh was when I questioned them about why they were calling it a fault-claim, as opposed to a no-fault claim - apparently I can't blame Bambi for it, and no-fault claims are only things like fire or theft - go figure :wacko: .

Mike.

The bit that did make me laugh was when I questioned them about why they were calling it a fault-claim, as opposed to a no-fault claim - apparently I can't blame Bambi for it, and no-fault claims are only things like fire or theft - go figure  :wacko: .

Mike.

Mike

A claim will be deemed "at fault" if your insurer is unable to make a full recovery. In your case, they would be unable to sue the pants off poor bambi to cover their outlay.

Also just because it isn't your fault, in the case of a fire or theft, doen't mean that it goes down as a "non fault claim.

General rule.

If your insurer have to pay for repairs to your car and there is no-one to recover their costs from, it will go as a fault incident.

The training guys at our place use a corny line to get this in to the heads of new starters.

"It's a no claim discount not a no blame discount"

Head really hurts now, going to bed!

If your insurer have to pay for repairs to your car and there is no-one to recover their costs from
Surely the premiums paid cover their costs, that is why the collect them in the first place :blink:

I can understand that insurers like all business need to cover their costs, however, what is the initial premium we pay used for... expensive offices, staff and equipment, oh and sponsorship of sporting, yachting, events, TV adds, client entertaining etc etc.. you get my drift....

Why should we pay more above the agreed rate, surely that is why we pay insurance in the first place... we expect that our premium will protect our asset, i.e car and allow any minor or sometimes major work to be covered in the case of accidental damage..

How about this then... If I don't make a claim in the year, you give me back half of my money as it hasn't cost you anything for you to have me on your books... and I only want half as I'm not greedy and I would like to ensure I was paying something towards keeping your business afloat... will that work? NOPE!!

But if I make a claim regardless of excess that I pay personally :blink: You will up my premiums accordingly and continue to do so.... so in effect I am having to pay whichever event occurs, and even if an event doesn't occur I'm still paying.... ?????

Anyone want to buy this can of fresh air.... Point is I think the whole insurance market is a big scam and they work in cahoots to ensure rates continue to rise...

yes you must tell them I am having the same trouble at the moment cause some tw*t rolled in to the back of my car and car got reversed into when i was not even in the car both was claim off the other partys but looked like e sure was going to be cheapest for me this year but because of other people bad driving they won't insure even though got 9 years no claim work that out

Finally renewed my insurance.

Declared my previous non-fault claim and still got £850 with Elephant for fully comp, protected no claims, business usage etc etc.

I paid £1080 with Bell Direct last year, and if they hadn't hoiked my premium by 40% for nothing, I would not even have bothered shopping around.

So sod you Bell !

If you have an incident where you are not at fault, there is nothing to stop you notifying your insurer but advising that you do not wish them to handle the matter. This is particularly so if the claim is likely to be less than your excess.

If the damage to your vehicle is such that you can put off having the repair done, deal with the other insurer direct. As long as you get witness statements and police reports (if any) and liability is accepted eventually, you make no claim on your own insurance, only the other driver does.

helps if you are a lawyer, or have a friend who is one.

Archived