Elephant - Good?

I bought my first boxster (a MY00 2.7) at the end of last year and since my insurance was only due to run until January 26th anyway, I simply changed the car and kept the same insurance company (Direct Line) who I've been with for the last 3 years.

Anyway, renewal time and I decide to shop around...after getting lots of quotes for about 2-2.5k, I begin to think that I'll stick with Direct Line, whose renewal quote was 1150 (Me and the Mrs, 25, 3 years NCB, 10k miles per year, garaged). However, confused.com came back with an option which was even cheaper, in the form of Elephant.co.uk. This comes in at 930, even when I take it back to a full 12 months rather than the dodgy "bonus accelerator" option. Since this'll save me over 200 quid, which will pay for most of the next service, I'm tempted to take it.

Any good reasons not to take it? Are elephant actually cr*p at paying out etc.?

Cheers,

Rowland.

I use elephant, they are cheap, service seems no worse than anyone else, wife had a claim recently and it was no problem. Only problems may be the extra charges for optional extras - make sure you declare the full spec of the car, and they don't cover track days, which for me will be a priority come renewal.

Elephant are a subsidy of Admiral, and such have the same policy restrictions as Admiral.

Its well documented on here that they will only give you the base cost of your vehicle, and none of the cost of the optional extras in a claim payout.

This isnt such a big deal on a car thats a couple of years old or more, but on a new car this is a significant shortfall if you have got lots of toys over and above the base spec, which most of them do.

Have actually now told elephant and taken out a policy with them. The policy went up by about 85 quid, but would have been invalid if I hadn't told them...

Unfortunately, they don't cover the extras if the car needs to be replaced/repaired etc., they'll just take the car back to standard spec. However, they're still 200 quid cheaper than the closest alternative, so I'm going to take the risk for now.

Thanks for all the advice.

Rowland.

might be worth investing in some GAP insurance... that way if Elephant won't meet the price you paid for the vehicle in the even of a right off.. the GAP insurer will.. worth thinkin about

might be worth investing in some GAP insurance... that way if Elephant won't meet the price you paid for the vehicle in the even of a right off.. the GAP insurer will.. worth thinkin about

Yip, got that. £149 one off payment at the start!

I've heard people mention GAP insurance before. What is it exactly, and where can I get it from?

Cheers,

Rowland.

GAP basically covers you for the GAP between an insurance payout and your purchase price..

If you buy a car today and in 2 years you smash it to bits the Insurance company will give you the money for a 2 year old boxster.. probably a fair bit less than you paid..

well this is wher GAP kicks in.. If the insurer gives you 25k but you paid 31k for the car 2 years ago.. the GAP insurer will pay out the 6k difference so you can go and get a brand new car instead of another 2 year old one...

great for ppl who've been driving their car a few years and know someone who'll nick it for them :):money:

great for ppl who've been driving their car a few years and know someone who'll nick it for them :):money:

I'm shocked you should even suggest such a thing!!!

Thanks for the idea, andbody got a box of matches and a petrol can?? :ph34r:

Archived