GAP Insurance

picking up my new car soon, and the dealer is pushing GAP insurance

this means that if the car is written off or is stloen and not recovered within 7 days, I will get a cheque for the original purchase price - not the current value of the car

has anyone bought it?

Depends on your attitude to risk and how exposed it would leave you. If it was written off or stolen the next day and you lost 5k, how would you feel. That should answer it for you. I didn't go for it in the end and just promised to "take extra care".

seagull,

Try phoning liverpool victoria for a quote. They may be a couple of hundred quid more expensive than your cheapest quote, but they will cover the full cost of the car, including all optional extras (one of the reasons I changed to them).

just got my insurance documents through - it seems that the standard policy covers new-for-old for the first year anyway, so the GAP will only be useful for years 2 and 3

probably not go with it - as I understand that Boxsters rarely get stolen, and is only useful I write the car off when driving it - hopefully very unlilkely

has anyone heard of a Boxster being stolen and not recovered within a week?

There will no longer be a "gap" after the first year. The real danger is if you drive off the OPC premises and write it off immediately (or within a few months)!

These things do happen - I nearly wrote off my last car within 30 seconds of leaving the dealer - I kid you not! Just be careful if you don't have cover! :wacko:

Archived