Alloy wheel insurance

Silver

Hmm, somewhat regret not getting the carreras. They look beautiful from an angle but I didn't quite like the look directly side-on. Then again, thats just me...

Hi JC, will get some before and after pics once I get these Kahns on the car. The Kahn RSRs are quite common but I think it'll give it a RUF 3200S look :wub: I'll have to fork out more for a GT3 front + side skirts = more insurance shafting :blink:

post-15-1046343410.jpg

I cant see why they would charge you extra for a set of alloys that are less expensive than porsche ones??? Only thing is, makes the car more distinctive/stealable.

Dont quote me on this... but i wouldnt bother insuring them, just make sure you have locking nuts on them... use more than one stud on each wheels if you are worried!

p

I cant see why they would charge you extra for a set of alloys that are less expensive than porsche ones??? Only thing is, makes the car more distinctive/stealable.

Dont quote me on this... but i wouldnt bother insuring them, just make sure you have locking nuts on them... use more than one stud on each wheels if you are worried!

Easy there Springster!!!

Only thing is, makes the car more distinctive/stealable

That's why they want more to insure it - it's (supposedly) more likely to be nicked.

but i wouldnt bother insuring them

I don't think you can just insure the wheels. if they ask you if the car has been modified in any way e.g. exhaust wheels etc. and you say 'no'. Then come claim time they will void the policy and you will loose out big time.

Insurers will always look for any way to avoid paying out, don't give them anything to latch onto.

Simon

PS They are scum :ph34r:

fair point simon,

but i have changed insurance companies over alloys before. one company DOUBLED the premium because the car had alloys! that is how stupid its getting.

sensible insurance companies will not sting you. and they wont load the premium to such an extent that it is absurd!

£290pa for £700 wheels just doesnt make sense.

i WOULDNT advise NOT telling them, dangerous game on £20k+ car - i would change insurance companies/not get the wheels/sell them!

i dont think i know a single vehicle which doesnt have the option of alloys. why should aftermarket alloys be any more expensive?

this subject angers me because i have had it all myself before ESPECIALLY when a large number of people dont tell the companies. they merely punish the honest.

p

Scum.

It is nuts, you could order a set of £2000 wheels as a factory fit option which won't effect the insurance at all. Stick on some £400 Nova-wicked-booyaka alloys and your premium goes bananas :unsure:

Mind you, I always think Factory fit alloys match a car better than 99% of aftermarket ones.

Simon

PS Sorry, I thought you were inferring not to tell the insurance company, but you meant not to insure the wheels - Doh!

Archived