Front springs

Zenedge

Hi All,

Got the dreaded creaking crunching sound as I did a 3 point turn tonight and sure enough, found half a coil sitting tangled up in the remaining part of the spring.  When removed, all noises have gone and the car feels ok so I don’t mind using it over the next few days until I can get it fixed. 

Can the front springs be replaced without affecting geometry???  I recently spent a good few quid on 4 wheel alignment and would prefer not to need it done again right now.

Also,  if anybody has a set of standard springs for 987.1,  leftover after lowering for example, feel free to give me a shout... Xmas budget for 3 children has eaten its way into spare cash atm. 

Thanks,

Gordon. 

Is it a set of 4?  I’m not planning to do rears so only need fronts. 

If you’re happy to sell front 2, can you let me know the colour coding on them and price posted to Glasgow?

thanks a lot,

Gordon. 

2 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

If you’re happy to sell front 2, can you let me know the colour coding on them and price posted to Glasgow?

thanks a lot,

Gordon. 

hi

yes i will sell just the fronts,will let you know colour coding tomorrow.

thanks

11 hours ago, Zenedge said:

Can the front springs be replaced without affecting geometry???  

You could mark the position of the top mounts but if the "new" springs are just a tad firmer or softer, this will affect your ride height and thus the geometry, mainly toe.

Apart from the color codes also check the tolerance of the replacement springs. It might be possible that you need to swap the compensator plates.

10 hours ago, Zenedge said:

thanks a lot,

Gordon. 

the colour coding is yellow blue

2 hours ago, Gcar said:

Apart from the color codes also check the tolerance of the replacement springs. 

Thanks for the info, how would I check this???

Ok folks, I’ve been out and had a look at the springs today and there is definitely no markings on the springs on the car.  I’ve obviously looked on the outside of the springs but I also checked the back side at the inner wing and even got a mirror to check inside the coils and I also have the piece that broke off the near side spring... nothing. 

How would I go about identifying what I should use on my car bearing in mind, I’m now worried that the springs on it are non-standard since they are not marked. 

1 hour ago, Zenedge said:

Ok folks, I’ve been out and had a look at the springs today and there is definitely no markings on the springs on the car.  I’ve obviously looked on the outside of the springs but I also checked the back side at the inner wing and even got a mirror to check inside the coils and I also have the piece that broke off the near side spring... nothing. 

How would I go about identifying what I should use on my car bearing in mind, I’m now worried that the springs on it are non-standard since they are not marked. 

it seems there are only 2 variations and you just need to use the correct compensating plate.

if you click the link above from gcar and go to the next page and scroll down it should give you the correct info.

Hmmm ? a little contradictory... according to that page, the springs come in 2 variants...  

white/yellow or green/blue

you say yours are yellow/blue, that’s enough to keep me confused lol.  Is it possibly because yours are from a Cayman instead of a Boxster???

36 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

Hmmm ? a little contradictory... according to that page, the springs come in 2 variants...  

white/yellow or green/blue

you say yours are yellow/blue, that’s enough to keep me confused lol.  Is it possibly because yours are from a Cayman instead of a Boxster???

there are 2 different markings.....single colour marking and double colour marking.both double and single are present on the springs.

its white or yellow(single) green or blue(single ) the single marking refer to which spring plate is required.

my single  marking is blue.

my double marking is yellow blue

theres no difference between cayman and boxster.

I think I need to brush up on my reading skills lol. 

Thanks a lot for your input folks, you have a pm Banjo. 

Regards,

Gordon. 

6 minutes ago, Zenedge said:

I think I need to brush up on my reading skills lol. 

Thanks a lot for your input folks, you have a pm Banjo. 

Regards,

Gordon. 

replied

Archived