CTEK 5.0 Charger Question ... please

runner

Hi all,

Had this charger now for over a year, about 14 months I guess, every time I've plugged it in via the centre console cigarette lighter, the bottom two middle of the four green lights have lit within 5 seconds and the first 3 lights of the 9 on the top have lit eventually too .. I plugged it in today and whilst briefly the two bottom middle green lights lit ... the top never did ... I rebooted the unit ... checked all connections were tightly in ... made sure the centre console cigarette lighter was 'live' by restarting the car and then turning it off and switching on in good time ... but still the charger is showing no lights at all anymore ... I've checked, whilst leaving it on .. 2 hours later and it's still showing no lights ... is it just dead on arrival ... could the battery be in such good charge condition it doesn't need to engage with it, hence the lights off ?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

I think you should get some leds lit whatever the state of the battery.  

Can you try it in a different vehicle to compare?

What if you connect direct to the battery?

Check the fuse on the 12v socket/on the charger itself?

Thanks Rowbos ... will try it on my partner's car when she gets back tomorrow ... I thought it should light ... don't think it's the fuse as such as on the few times I've flicked it off and on ... it's flashed a few green lights (not for long) ... seconds only ... so think it's still live ..

How is the charge on the car battery,  I understand that if the battery is too low the charger will not work, maybe it is something like that. 

Connect the C-Tek directly to your battery with the supplied crocodile clips to see if it lights up (it should).

I'm thinking your connection through the cigarette 12v socket isn't working; faulty connection, fuse for socket blown, socket not live for another reason.

Thank you so much ... for everyone's input ... grateful ... bizarrely I tried a number of things today ... hooked it up to my partners car ... still no life on it ... did the crocodile route ... that didn't help ... as a random last thing ... I took out the extension lead I've been using for over a year ... so went direct ... it kicked it back into life ... so for some reason, the extension lead failed ... so I 'm sorry to have put people on a wild goosechase ... but a happy ending ... Thanks again ...

12 minutes ago, runner said:

Thank you so much ... for everyone's input ... grateful ... bizarrely I tried a number of things today ... hooked it up to my partners car ... still no life on it ... did the crocodile route ... that didn't help ... as a random last thing ... I took out the extension lead I've been using for over a year ... so went direct ... it kicked it back into life ... so for some reason, the extension lead failed ... so I 'm sorry to have put people on a wild goosechase ... but a happy ending ... Thanks again ...

That’s a weird one!

Oh well at least you are back working again ?

Archived