Connection of Permanent Devices.

UkHawks

I have a Snooper Speed Camera Detector permanently mounted on the Dash (highly recommend this device!) it is currently connected into the glove box 12v socket, this is not ideal for a number of reasons, so I need to use the permanent power cable c/w inline fuse that was supplied with it, and would appreciate any suggestions on where (best) to connect this on the vehicle.

It has no need to remain powered up when the car is parked up, so ideally a power source that turns off with the ignition or one that auto powers down after a set period would be preferable, I have checked the power to the 12v sockets and they seem to power down after 30 min or so, would it be ok to connect to the terminals at the back of the glove box 12v socket?

Thanks!

Check the fuse box for a switched live, use a piggy back fuse and route the cable up the pillar and then as best as you can to where you want to locate it

2 hours ago, Forest said:

Check the fuse box for a switched live, use a piggy back fuse and route the cable up the pillar and then as best as you can to where you want to locate it

Thanks!

I have a nextbase Dashcam plugged into the socket in the passengers footwell under the glovebox, works just fine.

Plus that socket is so tricky to get to I would not use it for anything else.

3 hours ago, mdunderwood said:

Do the 12v sockets definitely power off? I have a dash cam that I need to plug in.

I'm just about to fit a dashcam as well. The 12v sockets power off 30 minutes after parking up, so quite useful to record whilst parked up for a while in case someone scrapes your car whilst you're parked up for a short amount of time. 

I was looking at the Blackvue power pack to keep mine powered all the time. It's a battery pack that connects to the 12v socket to charge, when the engine is running and continues to power the dashcam while the engine is switched off. 

11 hours ago, djy said:

I'm just about to fit a dashcam as well. The 12v sockets power off 30 minutes after parking up, so quite useful to record whilst parked up for a while in case someone scrapes your car whilst you're parked up for a short amount of time. 

I was looking at the Blackvue power pack to keep mine powered all the time. It's a battery pack that connects to the 12v socket to charge, when the engine is running and continues to power the dashcam while the engine is switched off. 

As stated the sockets power off. I’ve got the the blackvue power magic pro hooked up to the fuse box with the dash cam plugged in. It allows the camera to go into parking mode when left for a while

Archived