ABS Light, Brake Distribution Light and battery light

dazdman

Looking for some advice. Was driving my car this morning and set off from lights and gave her some beans. All of sudden the abs light came on then brake distribution fault came on and then battery not charging light also the radio and climate started going off and on. Took to a friends garage and the battery was nearly flat. He told me to start and then rev it. Told me stop as it was putting 20v into battery and basically cooking itself, his words. I have left the car there as you could smell electrics burning in the car, not too bad but slight smell. Going to get it towed to indy on Monday but now really worried. Any ideas what the issue could be?

Sounds like a faulty regulator that controls the voltage going to the battery from the alternator output. Maybe it's gone short circuit and is just passing on the unregulated output from the alternator which has fried the battery.

Hopefully the burning smell was just from the regulator. Since it's an earlier car, less electronics to get upset, so you might be lucky and get away without further damage. Had a similar panic when I'd connected my Spitfire battery the wrong way round and persevered despite the sparking! Eventually twigged my mistake and the car started first time despite having an electronic ignition unit fitted.

Good luck?

1 hour ago, dazdman said:

Thanks Nobbie. Im a bit concerned to be honest. It had a new alternator July last year.

Who did the alternator? They come with the regulator attached, so I would be taking it back to who did it, as 8 months is pretty poor if this is the cause.

23 minutes ago, dazdman said:

It was done by previous owner at non porsche garage over in Lincolnshire.

That's a shame, I guess you'll just have to take it on the chin then?

58 minutes ago, dazdman said:

Well, no new alternator or regulator. The issue seemed to disappear, plugged into computer and cleared codes. Some issue with instrument cluster, £235 bill for investigation :(

Thanks for the update, seems very odd that when your friends garage measured the output at 20v. May be worth getting one of these to keep an eye on the charging voltage when the cars running and the battery voltage when you just turn the ignition on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Display-Cigarette-Lighter-Electric-Voltage-Meter-For-Auto-Car-Battery-ZY/401463557101?epid=940001155&hash=item5d7917bbed:g:81UAAOSwj85YLryf

Archived