Boxter 986 gearbox issues, wont drive but moves in reverse

Damien Paul

Hi

I am new here.

I recently bought a 1998 2.5 Tiptronic Boxter, 80k fsh with a gearbox fault.

It has no forward drive in "D" but it will select and move the wheels in reverse.

I have correctly replaced pan filter and gearbox oil to temperature and topped up. It was dark grey when drained.

I have used a Mac tools diagnostic scanner to check and clear codes, but none were present.

It flashes red in "D" on the dash and no gear selection light is moving up or down on dash using tiptronic steering wheel shifter?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Thank you

Update, just been selecting gears while on diagnostics and sometimes it now does go in gear but still flashes red and no gear selection light on tiptroninc. I am thinking its a micro switch in the gear shifter gate? Also scanner says its in gear while in N {but no forward momentum} and 2nd in D with temperamental movement in gear?

Suspect this is an issue with the selector box on the side of the gearbox that the cable from the lever attaches too. A low cost option is to drill out the rivets holding it together and clean the contacts inside, otherwise it's about £200 for a new unit.

Archived