mattomg

12 minutes ago, mattomg said:

All things being equal, does it cost more to replace the IMS on a manual or  tiptronic gearbox ?

Removing the Tip box is a more involved job since it is heavier and connects to the cooling system and is not usually taken out during the life of the car, unlike manuals which will need clutch changes.I'd expect it to cost more.

I was curious about this as I have a Tip, and found this quote from a knowledgeable guy (Jeff from PA) on Rennlist

We have done several, and I have to tell you that the dealer's quote is not that out of line. The Tiptronic trans complicates an otherwise simple process, significantly lengthening the time required to pull the trans for IMS/RMS updates, which is why most shops quote substantially higher prices to do a Tip car vs. a manual gear box car.

Jeff runs a shop and has done hundreds so he should know. From talking to the guys who invented the "remove the IMS bearing and replace" process TIPs are considerably more expensive to remove and you don't get to lessen the cost of the clutch replacement to make it seem less painful.

Archived