986 Actuator Knob on Instrument Cluster Broken......Help!

fletchrichard

Hi all,

i have a 2001 986 Boxster, which is pretty sound, however I noticed after getting it home that the actuator that protrudes from the instrument cluster had been broken and bodged at some time in the cars history. The actual knob that pushes onto the adjuster has been extended with a piece of plastic tubing, while the spindle that it was supposed to locate on had been snapped and subsequently shortened. It has been bugging me for some time and I have now decided to attempt a repair, my question is, has anyone attempted such a repair, can you access the spindle if you dismantle the instrument cluster, don’t really want to swap out the old cluster for a new one? All comments gratefully received.......

B4AE8CAE-CD17-4AE2-8FCA-3496189C6D97.png

6985476B-D948-4FA6-9751-5A7CC8E1ACD9.png

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem on my 2004 S.  It bugged me too.  I had the broken knob and shaft so in the end I took off the total instrument cluster and carefully drilled a 2 mm hole down the centre of both ends of the broken shaft.  I then cut the head off a small nail and epoxied the shaft back together with the nail in the middle.  It is now as good as new. 

Archived