Transmission 'Skid Plate'

wizard

Hello.

Having recently changed the transmission fluid, reinstalling the 'skid plate' under the fluid pan is proving to be a pain in the @ss.

If anyone could advise if there's a trick/sequence to getting it back on I'd be very grateful.

I know for a fact that the plate has never been removed before and that it hasn't been hammered or damaged in any other way.

image.jpeg

What is happening is that the suspension shifts a bit when you take the plate  (its actually a brace and not a skid plate) and the diagonal braces off. You need to pull the suspension back to get the plate on again. I use a heavy duty ratchet strap to pull the suspension together. Run it around the two pieces that have the studs that run through the diagonals just under your finger in the picture. When you pull them towards one another it changes the geometry back to what it needs to be.

I've not had any major issues refitting mine after taking it off (and it's been off several times this year). The car was always on axle stands on both rear jack points, and didn't move between taking the brace off and putting it back on. It needed a little teasing here and there, but if it goes on straight it was usually OK for me. 

If you have seen the burner cars video on youtube he places a jack under the studs and then puts the whole weight of the car through an idividual stud. The stud pushes out of the hole with a loud bang as the car falls about 10_15mm, the stud is then free and there is some wiggle room to re fit the plate. 

I have done it in desperation and it worked fine, but you need to be spot on with jack stands and be well clear. 

The video is part of o series on diy clutch - rms  replacemet. 

Archived