Anybody fitted the OEM Porsche stainless steel exhaust tip

the baron

I got one as a prezzy and i must say I’m impressed with the build quality and heft of the unit although expensive at £160, its a screw on unit so easy enough to fit.

However it doesn’t slide all the way on and there is a gap at the back of about an inch and half that looks a little odd between the end of the tip and the back box its angled so presume it should slide all the way over until almost touching the back box, what is puzzling me is that inside the tip there is a raised ridge the the original tip seems to nudge up against preventing it to go on any further, if i got a mallet and gave it a really good whack it might go over this ridge but done want to damage either the exhaust or the new tip.

Does anyone have one fitted and can offer any advice or maybe post a pic.

I’m assuming you are fitting this to your 97 boxster?  If I’m thinking correctly here your exhaust already has twin exit pipes welded to rear silencer. Is yours an “S”?

the 2003 on had virtually no exit pipes but you attach the stainless exhaust trims by hooking over the seam and bolting it on from underneath. 

A picture of yours would help. 

Ive just bought this on eBay to have converted by Carnewal  if you scroll down to the pics you can see what I mean by how the trim fits  assuming it’s the same as yours  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-3-2s-EXHAUST-BACK-BOX-986-2004-Model-/264108359750?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=7VAEshFFkiI18n3zbh%2F%2Bde8Dxco%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc

Jon

1 hour ago, T911UK said:

97 Boxster can only be a 2.5, the tips do fit as you have found out, a little strangely to say the least!

Correct, 2.5, it looks great until you get down on your knees and look at the exhaust from the side, or from afar, my eyes are drawn to it but i dare say most wont notice until pointed out.

However if this were able to slide right to the end of the exhaust it wouldn’t look odd at all hence wondering if with a good wack it might slide further up the original tip., hence wanting pics etc.

Ive just gone out to my car with some wd40 and a mallet but it wont go any further along, although it looks like it should, bit of a design fault, I’m going to pop into Dick Lovetts and have a chat with them.

• 1 month later...

I bet it does look great from "normal" viewing angles :)  .......  I very much doubt anyone's going to crawl under to take a look from this angle :D

Have you got any pics of it from a height would normally see it from ?

7 minutes ago, Truth said:

I bet it does look great from "normal" viewing angles :)  .......  I very much doubt anyone's going to crawl under to take a look from this angle :D

Have you got any pics of it from a height would normally see it from ?

6A256F08-E716-4AC0-986E-79E5DEBF1031.jpe

1 minute ago, Truth said:

Nice mate  ;) .

Lovely spot to take a pic too !

Ta, was down in Dartmouth, this was taken at Salcombe Bay, weather was amazing, just p1ssed off I had the hardtop on, it did come off on the Sunday 

I noticed the hard top was on !  :laughingsmiley:

Salcombe Bay eh ,  I holidayed down there when I was about 12 I think .  Happy Days  :neo:

The standard exhaust is tarnished beyond repair and looks awful, this just adds the stainless steel shinyness to it, it also adds a bit of girth, it doesn’t do anything apart from improving the cars aesthetics.

Archived