CV Joint

Jakeboy

Hi all,

As per my other thread regarding the issue I currently have with my 987 Suspension, I discovered a shot outer CV joint (O/S/R), during the suspension stripdown.

Much to my surprise, I couldn't find a replacement outer CV joint available online, which raised my suspicions and having now researched a bit more, I'm led to believe that the outer CV joints on the rear of the 987's are not removable !?!  This seems ridiculous to me but that's perhaps my Porsche naivety?

Can anyone confirm if my understanding is correct and that I'm now faced with replacing the entire Driveshaft? 

If so what options have other's gone for in this case as I suspect OPC prices will be as ridiculous and the non-replaceable outer CV joint!

Any advice would be welcome.

Jason

Don't know re splitting the CV, but I seem to remember someone on here found a place who recondition CV joints for £100-150 from memory.

Just found a regular confirming that the outer CV can't be split, here's a firm I found with a quick Google, hopefully someone can recommend a similar service they've used.

https://www.driveshaftuk.com/driveshaft-and-cv-joints

Cheers Nobbie, I'm guessing it's either going to be a recon unit or even a  good second hand unit from a breakers.

I'll look for a re conditioner nearer home as you've suggested and weigh up my options thereafter.

Thanks again.

Jason

6 minutes ago, Jakeboy said:

Cheers Nobbie, I'm guessing it's either going to be a recon unit or even a  good second hand unit from a breakers.

I'll look for a re conditioner nearer home as you've suggested and weigh up my options thereafter.

Thanks again.

Jason

Yes, a good second hand unit from a breakers is probably the best bet. Should be plenty available as I'm not aware that they are a particular problem component for premature failure.

See page 203 - there is a circlip under the cap and you can buy all the parts individually which might be cheaper. Part numbers are on the next page.

download.pdf?pool=multimedia&type=downlo

Archived