Control/ Coffin arm disaster

Hughsehhh

13 hours ago, Hughsehhh said:

Just to update, tackled this again this evening and success. Thanks to everyone who offered up advice.

I'm somewhat stumped but I think the existing coffin arm I've just removed is not the correct part, as it had big rubber washers where the arm connected to both the chassis and the tuning fork. Its part no. 996 341 341 06. These rubber sections are not on the meyle replacement arm I've just put on. I think this didn't help in my struggles to physically remove the unbolted arm, see above. 

New arm in all fine, for anyone reading this in future, don't forget to preload the suspension before tightening the coffin arm where it meets the chassis. Now I've just got the other side to do in the next free bit of time. Should be much easier. 

My only concern now is the tracking looks visually out. With the coffin arm removed and even levering it when in place to get it removed, this obviously put some strain on the track rod. The rh wheel is dead centre along with the steering wheel, but the nearside wheel, the one I worked on is a degree or so out. I need to do the top mount on the offside (nearside already done) so will have the tracking done shortly. 

Sounds like its coming together and worth persevering.  When I did mine the wheels looked ok on the car in terms of being aligned, however in the 6-7 mile drive to get it 4 wheel aligned it was the most terrifying experience and couldnt go above 25mph.  I was sure the car was trying to kill me!!   So just beware and consider taking it on a trailer if you can.

All it took was a few firm whacks with a 2lb club hammer to the arm beneath the ball joint and it just dropped out. I had a ball joint splitter tool all ready to go just in case. 

The hardest time came from rotating the tuning fork away from the middle bush, that took some real force and eventually gave in to the hammer but I didn't like the idea of hitting a part I was going to retain. 

Archived