Boxster S misfire but no CEL

stupidget

I'd posted before about sluggish response when accelerating between 2-3k rpm so I unplugged the MAF.  Even though this appeared to resolve the issue initially, after a couple of days the problem returned.  I plugged the MAF back in and, one again the problem was lessened, but, came back after a couple of days driving. At the moment idle ticks over just under 1k revs and sounds fine, but, when I put my foot down it seems to misfire.  There is no CEL.

I dropped my car off at my local garage and he got it up on the ramps and we could see that 3 of the coils had been replaced, but the ones on the other side looked older than gods dog!  

I called back today and he said he'd not had time to inspect it properly and started talking about failed valves and the fact he wants to do a pressure test and that if it is to do with the valves then the engine needs to come out etc etc.

Is he trying to scare me into something expensive, being over cautious and could it just be dodgy old coils? Also, would something like faulty valves cause a CEL?

I'd take it to a Porsche Indy who are familiar with the common issues. It seems pretty silly at this stage to be talking about dropping the engine. Sounds like it's worth changing over the coils anyway and take it from there.

On 8/13/2019 at 5:39 PM, Nobbie said:

I'd take it to a Porsche Indy who are familiar with the common issues. It seems pretty silly at this stage to be talking about dropping the engine. Sounds like it's worth changing over the coils anyway and take it from there.

What he said

Took my S to CMS Porsche in Telford and they did a full 52 point  pre MOT investigation for me and checked the coils. Basically 5 out of the 6 coils were knackered and the one that wasn’t was an unbranded one. It’s a surprise that the bloody thing even moved.

6 new coils and it drives like a dream. 

Archived