What to look for...?

Rob™

OK, I know this has probably been done before (sorry if it has), but I'm considering swapping my 987.1 for a 981 2.7. Is there anything that I need to look out for?

I know the air con on my 987 was a problem, and I've other bits of corrosion in the exhaust and coolant pipework, etc. But that was on a car twice the age of what I'll be looking for. Anything specific in the 981 that has been a cause for concern?

Thanks.

Just check that everything works and it drives okay. 

Maybe get a ppi , however they are generally reliable cars.

Does it come with fsh and warranty?

Always good to speak with garage who did last service.

All the best.

Depending on the year of the car, there are a couple of things to watch out for.

Brake pedal bushes sticking - due to excess heat drying them out. Can be swapped for newer type. Symptoms include a couple of warning lights showing.

Bonnet lock catch was changed on some due to a weak weld.

Sticking fan which can be fixed manually - due to debris ingress.

Check for any recalls based on VIN number and see if they have been carried out.

Bad creasing/tears on the hood on some examples.

Door cards dropping due to the glue not holding.

All above covered in the forum - search facility is pretty good. Lots of info from friendly 981 members.

Good luck with your search.

Other things to consider, Air con gas leaks as per other models, corroded bolts where the exhaust joins behind each rear wheel, corroded exhaust valve mechanism on cars with PSE.

They are generally reliable cars.

Cheers Daz. Just got to dig that wedge of cash from behind the sofa now and actually go and buy one. Probably wait a little while as just changed my discs and pads, so need to get some use out of them or I'll feel like I've just wasted the money... In the meantime I'll continue window shopping

Archived