Ummm ... relays?

zcacogp

Chaps, 

I'm sure this has been asked before but .... where are the relays on a 987? 

OK, let's make that question a bit more focussed; I understand that they are under the glovebox somewhere but how do you get to them? I am keen to fit a programmable intermittent wiper relay (and do away with the rather primitive twist thing on the right hand stalk) but need to get to the relay panel to do this. 

All hints and tips welcome. Thanks!

Oli. 

Good luck programming one which always does what you want. And be bothered continually altering it. Nor have I ever had an auto system which did what I want, either.

On my other old car, it came with a fixed delay. Modified that to infinitely variable, with a convenient knob on the dash. Sounds good and works,  but  a pain to keep adjusting it, as rain varies so much. Only thing about it which was worthwhile was making it go to intermittent (from normal) when you stop in traffic.

DaveEFI, thanks. Some late 1990's VW's had a programmable intermittent relay which was compatible with a lot of other cars. For some reason they only fitted it to VW's for a few years and then stopped but lots of other people produce the relays. I fitted one to my old 944 and it worked much better than the type that has a dial on the dashboard to adjust the frequency. If I can dig into the relay board on my 987 then I'll fit one to that as well, but that necessitates finding the relay board .... 

AMacdonald, could be the same ... where's the discussion?

Archived