Wheel alignment OPC

bandit_287

I contacted my OPC as I’d like to get my wheel alignment done on my recently purchased 981, the tyres are expensive so thought it would be prudent to ensure they’re all pointing in the right direction. The steering wheel is ever so slightly off centre too, only a fraction but it’s enough for me to notice. They’ve quoted me £320 including VAT to get this done as my car has a camera fitted above the rear view mirror for various functions, apparently this needs re-calibrating during the wheel alignment too. If I had no camera the price would be £216 inc VAT. Does anybody have any experience of this before? Seems a lot of price difference, I don’t mind paying £216, that’s more than necessary however I’m reluctant to take it to Kwik fit as although my local has a Hunter machine the idiots cocked it all up on my 987.2 and I had to return three times before I was happy with it. 

33 minutes ago, bandit_287 said:

I’m near Bristol. I’ve heard very good things about Center gravity however they’re a bit too far from me. 

I travelled from Somerset and had a great experience at CG. 

Lee at Cotswold Porsche will be able to do this for you and is a lot closer... @CotswoldPS

Not sure I understand the extra charge because of the camera. My BGTS has a camera that reads speed limit signs and probably provides the input to the dynamic lights and I followed what CG did quite closely and the camera was never mentioned. Unless your car has some sort of lane departure warning system? But good luck having a debate with the OPC!

18 minutes ago, Carmine said:

Not sure I understand the extra charge because of the camera. My BGTS has a camera that reads speed limit signs and probably provides the input to the dynamic lights and I followed what CG did quite closely and the camera was never mentioned. Unless your car has some sort of lane departure warning system? But good luck having a debate with the OPC!

Yes my car reads the signs and has dynamic lights but as far as I’m aware no lane departure warning. £320 just seems quite a lot of money for an alignment. Interesting that CG never calibrated your camera, maybe OPC are just profiteering. 

Not exactly the same but I've seen something similar happen with Golf R owners because of the adaptive cruise control system, the re-calibration costs a fortune.  However,  it only needs calibrating if there are major changes so you should be able to negotiate.

Do you have adaptive cruise?

5 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

I had two S2000’s before the Boxster, great cars and appreciating assets now. 

Loved mine too, wasn't a nice steer when out of alignment though and very sensitive to tyres.

26 minutes ago, JohnSyn said:

I've had three 981s worked on by Centre Gravity, 981S (2013), Spyder ( 2015) and GTS ( 2015) none of which needed anything else done. Throughly recommend them. 

Thanks for that info. Did either of your 981’s have the camera fitted above the rear view mirror?

8 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

Thanks for that info. Did either of your 981’s have the camera fitted above the rear view mirror?

My current car, the GTS, has. I think the Spyder did too but cannot remember whether my 981S did. Ask the guys at Center Gravity, they are really helpful. They also did the 991.2 GTS  I had which also had the camera in the mirror. Isn't it for speed limit signs?

Yes and for adaptive cruise control and dynamic high beam and the PDLS apparently. I’ve been in touch with Lee at Cotswold Porsche and he’s asked the question to the OPC too, he doesn’t have the camera calibration equipment at his place. He can’t see why the camera needs calibrating with such tiny adjustments to the suspension. I’m going to wait for his response and if it’s unnecessarily I’ll get Lee to do it as it’s only £100 with him. 

7 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

Yes and for adaptive cruise control and dynamic high beam and the PDLS apparently. I’ve been in touch with Lee at Cotswold Porsche and he’s asked the question to the OPC too, he doesn’t have the camera calibration equipment at his place. He can’t see why the camera needs calibrating with such tiny adjustments to the suspension. I’m going to wait for his response and if it’s unnecessarily I’ll get Lee to do it as it’s only £100 with him. 

That  sounds a plan! On the three cars I had/have that I know have a camera, and in two cases PDLS plus the speed sign camera, none were affected by the wheel alignment 

Archived