Stones/pebbles getting stuck in and around brakes/brake shield.

IATM

Hi all. 

looking for some advice. I have never had squeaky brakes but recently driving home on our pot riddled roads with loose tarmac everywhere I could hear a sound that started very quickly. 

i heard what sounded like a stone stuck in the brake shield as I have had this happen before on a previous car. It was there for around 10 seconds then got little worst as I turned then stopped. Now I sometimes get it and sometimes don’t depending on if I reverse or say car is cold or on a longer run. 

any advice on what experiences others have had with this issue and what trouble shooting you did to find the stone . 

I know it’s on the passenger side but I can’t pin point if it’s front or rear yet. 

worst case I might get Porsche assist out to have a look or go to a local garage just to get it up on the ramp to have a look. 

ps. Been checking discs for last 7 days and no new scoring or marks. Which is a positive! 

To pinpoint front or rear get someone to walk alongside the car as you drive slowly past - it should be very clear whether front or rear. Or just jack up each corner in turn and spin the wheel by hand - it should be very very obvious.

I've had my car for perhaps 12K miles and this has happened once. I had previously purchased a 987 jack and had suitable tools for the wheel bolts and the wheel hanging pegs in a bag in the rear compartment so jacked up the car, removed the offending wheel, popped out the stone with a screwdriver and that was that. With PCCBs I was taking no chances.

Odds are the stone is caught between the splash shield and the disc so you won't see any groove being worn. Eventually the disc and/or stone will wear and the stone will fall out. I'm not sure there's much you can to to prevent this happening. Some gap is needed between the splash shield and the disc and the odds are that there will be a small non-zero number of stones that are the right size to get wedged into place and get thrown up at just the right angle.

Ive experienced this a couple of times to...in both cases it sorted itself out. Thing is though I have never had this on any other car I've owned.....wonder whats different about the brake design that should allow this to happen on a 981?

Archived