Mate refused insurance

Mate of mine also wants to buy a Boxster (2.7) - BUT no one will touch him on insurance.

About 2 1/2 years ago he was hit up the ar*e by another car doing 40mph - he was at a standstill at a roundabout. The car was written off.

Now the claim is still going through (it knackered his arm nerves a bit), so has not been completed. But he's getting refused insurance at quite a few of the main sites. And because the claim has not been completed, they wont touch him for 2 years AFTER the claim has finished.

So if it took 12 years and went to court, they would touch him for 14 years.

Now, he was NOT at fault either. It's absolutely farcical. ANyone know differently or any good insurance places to try ?

G.

I had a similar experience about 4 years ago. Someone hit me at 70 mph, whilst I was stationary on the M1.

Whiplash, damaged back, ankle and shoulder. Solicitor dealing with then claim got me my excess back within 6 months, together with all other payments, leaving the PI claim as the only thing outstanding. Since I recovered my excess, all insurance co's I spoke to (All mainstream, Norwich Union, Direct line etc) took it as a none fault claim, because I had recovered my excess, even though the PI was still outstanding. The claim was settled 6 weeks ago, just before I went through the final operation on my shoulder. Your mate could be looking at £15,000 - £25,000 compo for this if he holds out. I'm paying for my new Boxster with mine!!!

I have also had it confirmed that the accident only needs to be advised for a period of 3 years after the accident, whether at fault or not. If your mate recovers the excess in the meantime, it then becomes a "none" fault claim.

I also have an at fault claim (theft), but I can still get insurance on a 2.7 for £1,200. With the girlfriend on the policy (3 fault claims) this only rises to £1,500. I'm 32, with FNC's and no points with Class 1 business use and no restriction on the mileage.

I think your mate is either being wrongly advised, or there is something about his history that he is not telling you. ie a ban or a drink/dangerious driving conviction. Either that or he is "young".

Archived