Rattle Rattle Rattle

lofi

I forwarded the clip to Center Gravity, who I use to do all my suspension work, and they concur with a view that it is a ball joint, either on the tuning forks or the lower arms.  I'll do the forks myself and cross my fingers, else up to CG for them to do the lower arms and geo.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good luck with the work.

I think as well as parts binning Porsche are also production engineering to reduce manufacturing cost rather than improve performance.  I noticed that the diagonal brace on the rear suspension of the 987 is a hollow aluminum extrusion but the part that does the same job on a 981 is a simple top hat section.  No prizes for guessing which is cheaper to make and less robust.

• 2 weeks later...

Having only had the car for 7 years and 32k miles..... I'm getting a very similar rattle/clatter from the front. It's intermittent and normally only over rough surfaces.

It has similar characteristics in that it appears to be coming from behind the dashboard. However, knocking suspension joints have a habit of making themselves acoustically apparent in the cabin in deceptive ways.

Because the rattle/clatter appears to be coming from the right-hand (driver's) side I have already changed the off-side lower front track-control coffin arm. This made no difference.

The rattle/clatter was also apparent both before and after an X75 conversion that I undertook fairly recently. This conversion replaced:

struts x4

Anti-roll-bars x2

Front drop-links x2

Front tuning forks x2

To summarise, the only suspension part that I haven't replaced on the front is the near-side (left-hand) lower track-control coffin arm.
And yet this rattle/clatter persists. It doesn't affect driveability but it annoys me in ways that even marriage cannot.

I've bought some chassis ears (basically a set of four metal clamps and some headphones). I'll go out later and make some recordings.

The 981 is getting to the age where wear-and tear stuff will start to happen. This thread is very interesting and show's were at that point now.

Be very interested in where you get to.  Currently getting hold of tuning forks for a half decent price is difficult so I have not tackled them.  However,  I am pretty sure it is suspension as it is quieter in the wet (although it could also be the new front tyres being slightly under inflated, though I doubt it).  I am therefore pretty sure it is suspension.

37 minutes ago, temporarychicken said:

Sorry to hear that. I've got a couple of known good ones here that I replaced unnecessarily when I did the X75 conversion. If that helps you, PM me. They're a doddle to fit as I'm sure you know already.

Apparently you cannot receive messages for reasons I do t understand 

1 hour ago, daz05 said:

Top mount ok?

It looks ok in terms of delimitation but it could be gone. If the forks don’t do it then it will be into center gravity to do whatever is needed

9 hours ago, lofi said:

It looks ok in terms of delimitation but it could be gone. If the forks don’t do it then it will be into center gravity to do whatever is needed

I mention it because I knew of a Cayman with a strange rattle and it ended up being the top mount.

Had the car on a lift today. No obvious movement in suspension parts. Very similar sound can be produced when steering the front wheels by hand and reaching the end of the steering travel, ie against the steering stops.

Thanks to temporarychicken I will be trying some new forks and I have also ordered a pair of drop links.  If those do not do the trick then I will go to CG and they can mess around with the lower arms and the inner and outer track rods.

I read a thread somewhere in which a guy had replaced everything - top mounts, shocks, coffins, tuning forks - and found out it was a track rod end. Usual thing in that the noise was worse when the car had been driven hard which makes the grease hot and thin and if it's any kind of sealed joint then components can rattle. When I had them check my front suspension the only place they could find any play - and it was a tiny amount - was one inner track rod.

In my case I still think it's tuning forks. We'll see.

So, fitted known ok tuning fork arms today and the sound is the same.  So that is one item off the list.  I have drop links on the way so will give that a go.  If it's not then I will book in for Center Gravity to diagnose and fix

Pic for those who are unsure of what a tuning fork is.  Its actually properly called a track control arm but it looks like a tuning fork.  They also 'ring' like a tuning fork.

IMG_9079.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok. Been to CG and they think they’ve found the issue. It is not possible to correctly torque the front tuning fork bolt. This means the the metal centre of the bush isn’t clamped properly and is moving. In fact when I got there the bolt was able to be undone without a bar. 

With the bolt removed there was swarf in the chassis fixing. The fix is to re thread the chassis and that means removing the front sub frame. Didn’t have the right Timesert so I’m back in January to have it done. 

Also, the rear coffin arm bal joint has gone so that needs doing as well. 

so I have my fingers crossed that is the issue and the rattle goes away. It has actually got worse. The bolt is glued in with super lock tight at the moment, the stuff that needs heat to unlock.

1 hour ago, lofi said:

Ok. Been to CG and they think they’ve found the issue. It is not possible to correctly torque the front tuning fork bolt. This means the the metal centre of the bush isn’t clamped properly and is moving. In fact when I got there the bolt was able to be undone without a bar. 

With the bolt removed there was swarf in the chassis fixing. The fix is to re thread the chassis and that means removing the front sub frame. Didn’t have the right Timesert so I’m back in January to have it done. 

Also, the rear coffin arm bal joint has gone so that needs doing as well. 

so I have my fingers crossed that is the issue and the rattle goes away. It has actually got worse. The bolt is glued in with super lock tight at the moment, the stuff that needs heat to unlock.

Do you think that has happened when you removed and refitted before Lofi? Cross threaded?

9 hours ago, daz05 said:

Do you think that has happened when you removed and refitted before Lofi? Cross threaded?

It’s not impossible. Means the sound will still be there when sorted. Either way it needs fixing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with next January!

From experience it could be possible to cheese the thread on the body where the front subframe and tuning fork meets it accidentally, although any hardened steel bolt wound into tapped aluminium is a potential cheese risk. The all aluminium suspension of the Boxster is a selling point, but it does have this particular downside. Either way, a timesert will sort it.

Hopefully some labour can be saved through 'dangling' the front subframe andundoing the front-most bolts completely, whilst leaving the rear-most bolts undone just a few turns. This will possibly allow access to timesert the damaged thread in the chassis. I did exactly this, albeit for a different reason in order to create access when I fitted the X73 anti-roll bar.

• 3 months later...

So, after many delays due to travel restrictions the car has spent a week at Center Gravity and Chris has followed his process.  The car is now back, rattle free, full set of Michelin fitted, and the geometry set up all properly.  The subframe did not need a timesert in the end but one of the bolts was stretched (by 1.5mm!) so all the subframe bolts were replaced.

Phew - I can get back to enjoying the car.

Archived