MOT Fail

Madlil

Hi all,

My 2013 Boxster failed its MOT today as the headlight adjustment was too high. However my car has bi Xenon lights with PDLS, so I would have thought they self adjusted?

My local garage did the MOT and passed it once adjusted, saying they lowered the headlights using an allen key. Has anyone experienced this before?

Annoyed that they failed it for this!

As far as I remember the little strutt is plastic and open to the elements, hence the ball joints need regular lubricant. Just be gentle when taking off to clean and lubricate, cheaper option than replacing.

My bet is your level sensor on the suspension has seized on that side and it's causing the headlight to aim high. Adjusting the aim will pass the MOT but once the sensor is fixed it will need doing again.

20 minutes ago, daz05 said:

My bet is your level sensor on the suspension has seized on that side and it's causing the headlight to aim high. Adjusting the aim will pass the MOT but once the sensor is fixed it will need doing again.

Thanks Daz, car has always been garaged but I suppose it is getting on for 7 years old...

I'm not sure where to find it, can anyone advise on where it is and how I would know if it has seized?

14 minutes ago, Madlil said:

Thanks all. Will take a look tomorrow. Car has been jacked up recently for new tyres so could have broken the link if the ball joints are seized. 

Concur with Carmine, couple of small bolts to remove these things and hopefully you can free it off once off the car. I've never had this on my 981 but happened with all my previous BMWs and always managed to DIY fix it.

Had a look at the front level sensor and it is all intact. Picture below is a little blurry. I have spoken to Porschtek in Leeds and they are going to take a look at it on Thursday morning. Wondering if I should spray some grease onto the ball joints in the meantime?

cants see the rear one without removing the wheel. Might leave it to Porschtek to resolve. 

ljceVmX.jpg

Hi all,

Quick update - took the car into Porschtek in Leeds this morning and they checked both sensors on the ramp and they are both in good condition and fully working. They believe the height adjustment made by the MOT centre was correct.

Looks like I have nothing to worry about and the guys at Porschtek didn't charge me despite spending around 30 mins under the car.

Thanks for everyone's advice on this thread, much appreciated.

Archived