Just sayin'.....

daveg

I absolutely love my car. I've managed to get out and about in it a few times in the past week doing essential stuff. After picking it up just before Christmas it's been under cover most of the time up until a week ago. It grows one me more each time I get in it. In no small way due to me getting to grips with all the controls and twiddly bits! I had a 2001 3.2s for 7 years and although I loved that as well this one is a quantum leap better. But you all know that 😁

• daveg changed the title to Just sayin'.....

I'm a fairly recent new owner, and it's my first Porsche after 3 decades of sportscars - more than half of them being Lotus or of that ilk.

I know that some in the Lotus community would dismiss these as "dull" in comparison and I can understand what they're getting at, but only if it was on limited exposure to it.  The more you get to know it the more there is to appreciate...

I bought the 2.7 as I figured I'd get more enjoyment out of the ability to use more of the revs more of the time.  I was aware I'd be dropping a bit of outright performance compared to the previous Elise, and that itself was a drop from the previous one.  There have been a couple of times when I've thought "ooh, maybe I should've got the S" as I could've afforded it but I tell you what, I've since had a couple of decent country lane blasts with top down, PSE singing and even Sports Plus with the harder dampers engaged and it really can fly - certainly wouldn't be able to call it dull after that experience!!  And certainly no need for the bigger engine as I couldn't have used more anyway - though of course there will always be that "man want" for more more more power but having played that game with motorbikes and tuned cars I'm more aware of being satisfied with what I've got.

And in addition to that, I took the wife to the shop in it at the weekend whereas she'd never go in the Lotus.  Everything switched off and it's a lovely smooth luxurious place to be sat.  I bought it at the end of August and I've already done two year's worth of my usual Elise mileage in it and that's still only for "playtime occasional use".  When we're fully out of lockdown I may need to review my limited mileage insurance policy.

I have to agree, having owned my first Porsche a 981S since late December, it's been a blast so far. I drove a Z3M roadster for the last 13 years and it was great fun, but is thoroughly outclassed by the Porsche.

Most of my trips out have been on cold, icy (maybe) roads and not knowing the car, have been cautious. The once I've been out in nice weather was just something else, oh and the sound!

I'm looking forward to the day, when I get in the car and the seats adjust to me, not the previous "man monster" owner. In the unlikely event, I read the handbook...Nah that's not happening, I need to learn how to drive it properly first.

Roll-on spring.

..and these posts are why the 981 values are strong and will probably remain as it is such a great all round package.

I've located a couple of 718 4.0 GTS that I'm actually going to go and seriously look at, but I'm expecting (& hoping) not to be overwhelmed.  These will be be Caymans though & not a Boxster.

I do an essential trip to my dads,taking him groceries every Sat morning,obviously the long way from Street to Taunton and have managed the top down a couple times too :)

On 3/11/2021 at 10:47 AM, GTSMarky said:

..and these posts are why the 981 values are strong and will probably remain as it is such a great all round package.

I've located a couple of 718 4.0 GTS that I'm actually going to go and seriously look at, but I'm expecting (& hoping) not to be overwhelmed.  These will be be Caymans though & not a Boxster.

The only 718 I've been in was a Cayman, I was underwhelmed thrice-over;  the engine noise (though the punchy torque was good),  the fact the noise was further subdued by it being the closed top though I'm guessing at that and possibly because there was no PSE and I think they're even more silenced these days maybe?

Yes - all noise related, the rest of the car was great but for me I'd say that the aural experience makes up at least 25% enjoyment of a sports car.

Those 6 cylinders in the 4.0 would do me nicely, though again I'm guessing the silencing may need a bit of derestriction.  Very far from affording one anyway but nice to know it exists.

On 3/12/2021 at 1:42 PM, moospeed said:

The only 718 I've been in was a Cayman, I was underwhelmed thrice-over;  the engine noise (though the punchy torque was good),  the fact the noise was further subdued by it being the closed top though I'm guessing at that and possibly because there was no PSE and I think they're even more silenced these days maybe?

Yes - all noise related, the rest of the car was great but for me I'd say that the aural experience makes up at least 25% enjoyment of a sports car.

Those 6 cylinders in the 4.0 would do me nicely, though again I'm guessing the silencing may need a bit of derestriction.  Very far from affording one anyway but nice to know it exists.

I just wouldn't want a 4 pot.  Yes the Turbo gives it low down punch, but I agree with your %age.  If I drive the same road in my car one way with PSE off and the other way with PSE on, it's the other I remember..

Childish I know, but who cares!

Archived