Foglight lens refurb

Gramps

When I 1st viewed my 987.2 Boxster S  last year I thought the front looked very tidy for a car that had done 78k. A closer look revealed the bumper had been resprayed. Not a problem and glad it had been done. Sadly the foglights had obviously suffered the same stone onslaught over the miles and looked awful. So I done a bit of googling and decided to refurb the lens myself. Much better.

IMG_8620.JPG

IMG_8621.JPG

22 hours ago, Gareth_W said:

@Gramps Looking good, what products did you use and what was your method of attack? Need to do mine at some point, would this also work on the headlight lenses?

Cheers. Well pleased with the outcome. A bit concerning once you get stuck in and there's no way back but all's well that ends well. I posted for advice but not a lot forthcoming. Someone suggested clay bar but that made very little difference, mine were too deeply pitted.. I tried following a U-tube vid rubbing down with difference grades of wet and dry using a sanding block then painting with a clear gloss plastic paint. But that still showed a lot of pitting and I didn't manage the best of finishes with the clear paint. On rubbing down the paint I could see that in places I'd taken all the plastic paint off. Obviously could've tried re-painting but I did not feel it would deliver the best results. So out came the DA polisher I'd bought ready for for some quality time with the new love of my life when we have the weather. I'd ordered some wet and dry sanding discs to fit the DA and set about the lights. I used 800, then 1500 then 3000, then polished off with Meguiars Ultimate compound and a medium polishing pad. Not saying that's the best combo , practice might tell but gave me a much better result. There is still the odd deep "pit" but overall very pleased. It may possibly need some UV protection gear at a later date but will see how it weathers. Not sure about the headlights yet. They don't take the same punishment as the foglights, But I will be taking a look soon to see if it's worth having a go at them. Will post it up if I do.

22 hours ago, Gareth_W said:

@Gramps Looking good, what products did you use and what was your method of attack? Need to do mine at some point, would this also work on the headlight lenses?

Cheers. Well pleased with the outcome. A bit concerning once you get stuck in and there's no way back but all's well that ends well. I posted for advice but not a lot forthcoming. Someone suggested clay bar but that made very little difference, mine were too deeply pitted.. I tried following a U-tube vid rubbing down with difference grades of wet and dry using a sanding block then painting with a clear gloss plastic paint. But that still showed a lot of pitting and I didn't manage the best of finishes with the clear paint. On rubbing down the paint I could see that in places I'd taken all the plastic paint off. Obviously could've tried re-painting but I did not feel it would deliver the best results. So out came the DA polisher I'd bought ready for for some quality time with the new love of my life when we have the weather. I'd ordered some wet and dry sanding discs to fit the DA and set about the lights. I used 800, then 1500 then 3000, then polished off with Meguiars Ultimate compound and a medium polishing pad. Not saying that's the best combo , practice might tell but gave me a much better result. There is still the odd deep "pit" but overall very pleased. It may possibly need some UV protection gear at a later date but will see how it weathers. Not sure about the headlight lens'. Will take a look in the not too distant future and if I give it a go I'll post it up. 

Archived