ULEZ - Really quite surprised

KWR73

20 minutes ago, zcacogp said:

My 200bhp, 1000cc with Akra slip on no baffle is exempt lol. It’s only the old smokers that have to pay. Motorbikes have been Euro 4 and 5 compliant for sometime. There’s no noise and emissions on a motorbike MOT they just note ‘it’s loud’ lol

IF anyone is worried about missing a London charge be it ULEZ or CC, you can set up automated payment for both. I think this link will get you to the TfL web site page which allows the creation for the required account: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge

You can attach several cars to your account, and if like me you are occasionally driving into central London (and then worry sick a few days later about a fine, realising you forgot to check whether you crossed through either the CC- or ULEZ zone a few days ago) it will give you peace of mind. I was sceptical initially (I do not like direct debits 😦) but have had this now for quite some time and it has worked rather well for both my cars (Boxster being liable to CC charge only, the other car both needing CC and ULEZ) so that may be worth looking into....

7 hours ago, PFX said:

IF anyone is worried about missing a London charge be it ULEZ or CC, you can set up automated payment for both. I think this link will get you to the TfL web site page which allows the creation for the required account: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge

There is the same for the Dartford crossing too - http://www.gov.uk/dart-charge

I wish I had set-up a ULEZ account, from my initial post I was caught out on a Sunday, not knowing it was 24/7, was on my way to the Albert Hall so could of easily missed it if I knew.  I am privately happy that I will not get caught out in the Boxster, still a little surprised and moreover looking at the posts am a little annoyed that the motorist foots the bill of the big polluters.

No new gas boilers from 2025 is a positive step, that will lead to the Heath Robinson approach of boiler maintenance and may well make the situation worse for a generation or two.  This leads me to a couple of other non car questions -

1. When will gas users become the new smokers?

2. What are the affordable alternatives? Is solar really efficient enough and are the big batteries not worse for the planet, is wind viable, same on batteries? and an electrical fall-back will surely overload the national grid and make us electrical fish in an energy bucket.

When I say that is not car related - it is - electric cars still have many ecological issues due to the batteries.  Why is the hydrogen cell not the power of choice?