987.2 Replacement Stereo Infotainment installation adapter help.

glen wells

Hi All, 

Hoping for some assistance suggestions or clarification.

2010 987.2 Boxster with the pretty pants CDR30. My car does have the option 

490 Sound system A.S.K. got confused as the unit behind the tyre inflator stuff was for the lights and other stuff not the AMP.
Now I know the AMP is located under the passenger seat following another internet search.

Bought a very nice Erisin double din unit to replace the CDR30 unit. The Erisin has a standard ISO connector out to a female connector which takes the two multi plugs - speaker wires in one and all other gubbins power etc in the other.

Erisin ES8136U 6.2" PX5 64GB 2 Din Android 10.0 Car Radio CarPlay & Auto GPS 4G DAB+ DSP DVD Player

Contacted three installers here in Devon but nobody interested in fitting it for me for various reasons.

An internet search showed me how to extract the old unit - rather adept at it now as I have done it a couple of times.

First CANBUS connector adaptor I bought but not knowing I had the AMP/speaker package was the wrong one.
All worked, powered up etc but no sound at all.

Another internet search showed me an option which was to connect the blue wire from the unit marked Antenna/AMP to the red/white wire on the canbus green connector block.
This worked, I got sound but poor - speaker noise when nothing playing and way too loud only needs to be on 4 out of 30 volume.

Never intended it to be permanent just wanted to test it and hear it working.

I have come across  a website called InCarTec who have hundreds of adaptors for all cars.

My search took me to this one.

Porsche Quadlock CANbus steering control interface and radio adapter cable - InCarTec

Item -  49-POR-03

Including delivery it is £100 which is a lot but if it works thats ok. It sounds like the right one reading the material.

Anyone bought this, or used it or had success??

Thanks in advance
Regards
Glen

Incartec are my goto for anything car Audio related.  

that said.  What are you looking / needing to get from the canbus - that unit gives you steering wheel controls (if you have them - but needs a patch lead to the head unit ( special for each types of head unit - I am not familiar with the unit you are describing but I suspect it may emulate one of the other brands for steering wheel buttons )

additionally that adapter will give you switched power and tell the unit the lights are on as well as (if important the car is in reverse (camera trigger) or that the handbrake is on (so you can watch videos)

I suspect you probably need it for the switched power and lights on. incartec can let you know about the amp “on” trigger.  As a guess you may also find that the head unit needs to be told it is going through an amp (so will disable it’s onboard amp and only do preamp/ line level out - that could explain the “shouting” from the systems. 

oh and just for clarity (not trying to score points) the ask amp is under the drivers seat (rhd/ U.K. car) the passenger seat has the rear control unit (does the roof etc ) and the rear park distance control units 

good luck with the install. 

Hi

Thanks for the information. 

Do not need steering wheel controls but the other features yes to those.

The new unit has a DSP AMP built in so the switch option will be needed.

Sounds like it is the adapter I need and therefore well worth the money to save faffing about.

ta

Glen

Hi,

I have a 987.1 so can’t help you directly. However I have the ASK system and my research online still left me with some doubt. I emailed incartec with the details of the system I had in the car and what I wanted to instal and they confirmed exactly what I needed. 
I think you said you’re in Devon. Incartec are based in Exeter, so you may be able to save yourself the postage. 

good luck 

Hi Mavis.d good to know the product did the job for you. 

I will give them a call when I get a break just to confirm the connector will be the correct one.

Cannot get there this week unfortunately due to work. Shame as they are quite close to me!

Regards

Glen

Incartec adaptor worked in a fashion.

Problem being I have a double amplified signal. Car stereo has a built in amp then the connection block speaker wires go to the cars amp under the seat.

Means I have noise coming through he speakers when nothing playing and the volume control has to be really low otherwise way too loud.

Not sure if it is possible to reduce the in stereo amp output and use the car amp only?

Regards

Glen

give them a call or drop in to discuss is my suggestion - before you pull it all apart.

alternatively - assume the wires go from head to amp and amp to speakers - so - is there an  option to bypass the amp at that point and effectively go from head straight to speakers by some plugs at the amp - don't know what the connectors are but if you are lucky you may be able to bridge easily under the seat

Thanks for the assist.

Feeling smug as sorted it out.

Basically problem was the  signal (CD or radio) went through the Erisin built in amp then the car Quadlock speaker wires went to the in car amp under the seat = double amplified.

Wanted to keep the car amp and bypass the cheaper I guess car stereo amp.

I had an idea the the RCA output connectors would not be amplified by the Erisin built in amp as they are designed to go to a remote amp?

Theory proved correct I bought two male RCA connectors that adapt to + - speaker wires. Had some spare grey and white speaker wires from a defunkt connector block.

I disconnected the ISO block that carries all the speaker wires and connected the RCA adapted wires using the salvaged narrow spade connectors. 

It worked, normal output, Erisin amp bypassed, ASK Amp working no background white noise. 

Happy days

ta

Glen 

1 hour ago, glen wells said:

Thanks for the assist.

Feeling smug as sorted it out.

Basically problem was the  signal (CD or radio) went through the Erisin built in amp then the car Quadlock speaker wires went to the in car amp under the seat = double amplified.

Wanted to keep the car amp and bypass the cheaper I guess car stereo amp.

I had an idea the the RCA output connectors would not be amplified by the Erisin built in amp as they are designed to go to a remote amp?

Theory proved correct I bought two male RCA connectors that adapt to + - speaker wires. Had some spare grey and white speaker wires from a defunkt connector block.

I disconnected the ISO block that carries all the speaker wires and connected the RCA adapted wires using the salvaged narrow spade connectors. 

It worked, normal output, Erisin amp bypassed, ASK Amp working no background white noise. 

Happy days

ta

Glen 

Result.  Common sense and “how does this work pub style analysis” wins the day.  Nicely done.