2005 v 2007

944GS

I went to view a 2005 at the weekend, it had extended leather, sports steering wheel, 19” wheels and upgraded touch screen stereo all of which I really liked but the clutch was quite heavy and made a horrible squeaking noise when used.  The service book has enough stamps in it but the only receipts available was from the current owner.  Engine number is above the number for the newer IMS bearing too! 

Off to see a 2007 tonight, it has the standard no cost seats but still heated, xenon lights but that’s about it.  I don’t like the 17” alloys from the photos but they do have brand new good quality N rated tyres so would certainly do me for a while.

I know there’s a small power increase between the two (they are both 2.7 with similar mileage and price) but was there any other differences that I should be aware of?

Edited by 944GS

Usually heavy clutch means it's getting ready to pack up. The squeaking could just be lack of use - you know - squirt of WD40. Or it could be release bearing which basically means new clutch anyway - while it's out there's no point not.

No significant differences til the gen 2 which is 2009. Easiest recognised by the newer console design. Things to look for are condition, condition and condition.

3 hours ago, JonSta said:

Usually heavy clutch means it's getting ready to pack up. The squeaking could just be lack of use - you know - squirt of WD40. Or it could be release bearing which basically means new clutch anyway - while it's out there's no point not.

No significant differences til the gen 2 which is 2009. Easiest recognised by the newer console design. Things to look for are condition, condition and condition.

Thanks, having now seen another car the first clutch is definitely on the way out!