CDR23 replacement options?

cdm

Perhaps this has been done to death but......

I have just acquired a 2003 2.7. It has the CDR23 single CD head unit, door speakers and a frunk amplifier - with the MOST fibre optic thing.

There is some sound from all the speakers but so muffled and low level that it is unusable. I don't know if it's the head unit or the amp or both at fault but many of the buttons on the head unit are unresponsive including Sound. 

So I am asking for some assistance as to the best replacement options. I don't need anything fancy, radio and bluetooth to phone would be fine. I have previously used the continental TR7412UB-OR with good results - but since it drives the speakers directly I think I will need to jerry-rig the wiring from it to the amp in the frunk.

Anyone with experience or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

16 hours ago, cdm said:

many of the buttons on the head unit are unresponsive including Sound. 

Maybe as a 1st suggestion could you pull the unit out and check the connections on the rear?

Sticky buttons has come up as a discussion on here before-do you know any decent TV repair people?-possibly just poor contact behind the buttons.

Bluetooth is easy to add via the cigarette lighter once/if you can find a solution to your initial problems.

I also want to consider replacement options but I'm thinking about using a Tablet instead of a specific Head Unit.  I have a Tablet already which can do everything I need in my car.  Decent up to date sat nav, real time traffic updates and all manner of radio or other media options.  So all I need to do is mount it securely and then have the same amplifier or a different amplifier with some form of bluetooth media receiver and thats it.  I am done, right?