Track/ tie rods

Liberty

My car has gone through a few in its life.. Getting them done again next week hopefully.Jacked up the front end at the weekend to take a look as the nearside inner was an advisory on the mot.. Hands at nine and three on the tyres and yes movement.. More on the nearside but also movement on offside ..Is it usual on these cars for them to need changing fairly often? Could it be something else causing the issue? 

TIA

TRW on the outer not sure about the inner tbh .. Have got TRW Inner and outer to replace.  I've also ordered coffin arms and tuning forks but looking through the paperwork coffin arms were done in 2014 with TRW .Also this on the mot

Nearside Front Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement centre pin bush on front lower arm worn (5.3.4 (a) (i))

Anyways she's done over 100k but wondered if it's just something  usual for boxsters.. Do the racks wear? Cannot say I feel any play in the steering over all..

Now I didn't 😃 but I do feel the Mot guy was fairly thorough and that's a good thing.. Some of the old MOTs don't have any adviseries at all.. That's more concerning for me tbh.Not even a engine obscured etc, 

58 minutes ago, BBB said:

Could it be play in the wheel bearing?

54 minutes ago, SpeedyGee said:

I assume @Liberty also did a 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock check for wobble as well as the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock one. 
If the same wobble happens in both positions, that's bearing play, if the movement is only at  the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock, that's track/tie rod ends.

Thanks both..I'll double check.Silly me..The knock did sound like it emanated from the rack area but won't hurt to have another look.should be getting the work done Monday/Tuesday so was going to remove the under tray and spray some more WD just to make life easier hopefully.. Also both boots have zip ties holding them to the rack so for sure they've been done in the past..

• Like 1

Just to clear this up..Track rods and tuning forks were shot on both sides... Control arms still had life in them but  Mechanic had trouble getting one off so I'm glad it's done anyway. Jacked up when I got home and no play at all 👍£290 labour including alignment I got the parts..

• Like 3