Gearshift improvement?

zcacogp

I used an expensive spray grease, (Worth 2000 I believe).

It goes in as a liquid and turns to a very slippery thicker product. It really makes the throw far smoother.

I used some silicone grease, mainly 'cos it was the closest thing. And it's thick and slippery and pretty good for the purpose.

The difficulty is getting it down the sides of the gear stick itself where it fits into the yoke, so I blew some down there with a bit of compressed air. A liquid that becomes thicker sounds like it would be good for that job. 

Update now that I've driven the car: it's a considerable improvement although I can't entirely pinpoint why. The shift is smoother and easier, which is probably explained by the grease I put into it. I think it's tighter left-to-right as well, but that's not immediately noticeable. It's easier to find the gears and nicer to use, so not time wasted. 

It's all helped by changing the clutch fluid as well, the old stuff seemed to have become contaminated and was very thick, leading to a clutch pedal that didn't return correctly. New fluid has helped clutch pedal feel hugely, which has helped the car feel nice to drive.

Thanks for your suggestions chaps. I'm happy!

Edited by zcacogp

Fitted the SSK kit today along with a thin shim as recommended as my recovered Alcantara gearknob was delivered yesterday.  Not driven the car yet but gear selection is definitely a lot better as it was very loose before.  Action seems more precise and of course the through is shorter.