How to open front lid - 987 - battery flat

987 2.7

16 hours ago, sa utah said:

Jump packs won't work as mentioned,    I have a CTeK MXS10 which has a 12v supply option.  That works great to put on the fuse box post.   

How does the 12V supply work on the MXS10? Do you connect that straight to the fusebox?

I've got the original Porsche branded CTEK unit, and I've found that will actually get a completely flat battery again by leaving it plugged into the 12V socket for an hour or so. I'm not sure that this is advisable though, even that the unit gets very hot whilst doing this!

2 hours ago, Daveb975 said:

This is quite a timely thread for me as I've just bought a Noco jump pack and it sounds as though it won't do what I need.

My car sits in the garage on a CTEK charger most of the time, but I've noticed lately when away that even if it is off charge for a day or two, there is a noticeably lower starting power. It's always started, but doesn't feel like it should.

I bought the Noco as an option to charge quickly if it ever failed to start completely, but I forgot that this won't be any good if I can't get to the battery!

I'll keep it anyway as I suppose the battery could be too flat to start the car but not totally flat in some cases.

New battery ordered!

I can’t remember which noco I have but it has a “jfdi” button on it.  A mate used similar noco on a 997 recently - had to press the override before he connected it up and then it worked to pop the lid.  

4 hours ago, Daveb975 said:

This is quite a timely thread for me as I've just bought a Noco jump pack and it sounds as though it won't do what I need.

My car sits in the garage on a CTEK charger most of the time, but I've noticed lately when away that even if it is off charge for a day or two, there is a noticeably lower starting power. It's always started, but doesn't feel like it should.

I bought the Noco as an option to charge quickly if it ever failed to start completely, but I forgot that this won't be any good if I can't get to the battery!

I'll keep it anyway as I suppose the battery could be too flat to start the car but not totally flat in some cases.

New battery ordered!

I have a Noco jump pack, it has a boost button which is what you would use when you attach to the fuse post in the footwell. I keep the jump pack in its carry case, behind the drivers seat. You should be able to get open the drivers door even with a flat battery and then use the jump pack to open the frunk lid, then use it again across the battery to get the car started.

Edit: the overide button is an exclamation mark 

Edited by BBB
added link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BBB said:

I have a Noco jump pack, it has a boost button which is what you would use when you attach to the fuse post in the footwell. I keep the jump pack in its carry case, behind the drivers seat. You should be able to get open the drivers door even with a flat battery and then use the jump pack to open the frunk lid, then use it again across the battery to get the car started.

Think that’s the one I have and went for the one with the boost button for just the same reason 

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 12:06 PM, Daveb975 said:

How does the 12V supply work on the MXS10? Do you connect that straight to the fusebox?

I've got the original Porsche branded CTEK unit, and I've found that will actually get a completely flat battery again by leaving it plugged into the 12V socket for an hour or so. I'm not sure that this is advisable though, even that the unit gets very hot whilst doing this!

I have used the fuse box ' Pullout and the MXS10 has a button to cycle through the options of Charge/ AGM/Recon/Supply.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2022 at 2:04 PM, Paul P said:

I can’t remember which noco I have but it has a “jfdi” button on it.  A mate used similar noco on a 997 recently - had to press the override before he connected it up and then it worked to pop the lid.  

Thanks Paul, useful to know that it can be used in this way.

On 11/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, BBB said:

Thanks. I've got the GBX45, which looks very similar and certainly has an override button!

The video ia interesting. I'm assuming that the reason he used the override button to jump start at the battery was because the battery voltage was extremely low, and that a 'normal' jump start just requires the unit to be switched on?

8 hours ago, Daveb975 said:

Thanks. I've got the GBX45, which looks very similar and certainly has an override button!

The video ia interesting. I'm assuming that the reason he used the override button to jump start at the battery was because the battery voltage was extremely low, and that a 'normal' jump start just requires the unit to be switched on?

Yes, the circuitry detects a low voltage and is in normal jump start mode. It automatically detects if you’ve connected the leads the wrong way around as well. But if there is no voltage it gets confused and thinks you haven’t connected anything and won’t start. You then have to press the override button, which also overrides the safety measures.