Insurance

Picking car up tomorrow (2.7), just had insurance docs through. Despite asking the question twice last week, their letter said that I was not insured for theft until tracker fitted. I rang to complain, and was told that as long as I had an appointment booked (Which I have) I would not have a problem, as the car would be covered.

Whilst on phone, I asked them to clarify "Body" mods (Had already declared wheels), because they had never asked about mods to body. They said they need to know about all mods/options. I then listed them, and they told me that because I had £8,000 worth of "Extras" they wanted and additional £225 :angry: on top of the £360 I had just paid them to change cars. Options are just interior stuff, not suspension/Aerokit.

This is because they only insure a standard car, and if your car gets stolen, then thats what you get back, A STANDARD CAR!!!!

I argued that I had insured the car for £40,000, but they said they needed a list of all the options fitted, so they could replace them, and although I had stated £40,000, the market value of the car to them was only £31,150.

AND GET THIS - My excess for accidental damage has increased by £250 because of the options :wacko: Could understand if it was stolen, but accident damage only :rolleyes:

Thats a total premium for the year of over £1,700. :o I'm 32, with FNCB, clean licience, but one accident, and car garaged. Thats with DIRECT LINE.

Moral of the story is BE CAREFUL, because if your car gets stolen, you could end up seriously out of pocket!!!

Andy

Andy,

If I was you, I would have jacked that insurance and gone with someone else!

That is totally unreasonable. If what you are saying is true, and I am not saying it isnt, then I would hazard a guess at well over 60% of all cars on the road have "options" that insurance companies dont know about.

The value of the vehicle should suffice in the eyes of the insurer. The only reason I can perceive that they have cracked down on the options, is that people are claiming for options they never had.

With Porsche, a central record is kept of each vehicle and the individual options it has. If something is stolen, Porsche should be able to provide evidence that it has been on the car from new, or is an official aftermarket part and has been included on their database.

thanks for warning people but i hope not all insurance companies take the same vantage point.

p

Sounds like you spoke to a muppet which wouldn't have helped.

Admiral ask if the car is modified in any way from the manufacturers spec - my response is the car is as it was delivered from the dealer (well apart from the zorst, but that doesn't add power and it was an OPC that changed it under warranty).

If you even give them a sniff of more money, they'll have it off you.

They ask for the value of the car, and I gave list that I paid for everything.

Andy, you are being sh@fted I'm afraid. And the trouble is probably as you are mid-term in your policy it will still cost you more to change.

Simon

Agree with Simon.

Factory fitted "extras" should not be classed as "modifications".

Andy

I would go back to Direct Line and ask to speak to a Manager, I insured my new S in January with direct line (my existing insurer), I told them the cost of the car, which included all extras, but to be safe I mentioned the 18" wheels, they said that they didn't matter as they were factory items. I had the same Tracker conversation, ie, your not insured for theft until tracker is fitted, but I had it fitted at the dealers. I am 37, full no claims, no accidents, points etc, £700 for the year.

Sounds like you spoke to a muppet which wouldn't have helped.

Andy, you are being sh@fted I'm afraid.  And the trouble is probably as you are mid-term in your policy it will still cost you more to change.

Spoke to Muppet 1, who answers phone, Muppet 2 being the supervisor and Muppet 3 being a manager. Told them they were taking the P***, as nothing on the car enhances the performance. I said that I have never had a standard car, and that all had had extra's fitted. Got no where, but they did say that it was something they had brought in over the last few months.

I think your right, I have been well and truely s*@#ted, but like you say I am mid term, so there is nothing I could do, other than pay up!!!

That is totally unreasonable. If what you are saying is true, and I am not saying it isnt, then I would hazard a guess at well over 60% of all cars on the road have "options" that insurance companies dont know about

I have 2 certificates of insurance now, one saying £355 to change from Vectra (having already paid £660 for the Vectra back in Nov 2002) to Boxster(£40,000 value), with Wheels, which they said would not put up the premium, the other saying £227 with the options listed (but still £40,000 value).

From reading it though it looks like they have lumped me in with the "Max Power" crew, will speak to Direct Line again for further clarification.

This is the problem I came across earlier in the year when phoning around, they seem to want to sting ya twice. Called direct line today and asked them (as there the cheapest even with my new points :blink: ), and she stated that the mods would not effect the quote, unless fitted afterwards.

Then she double checked and then stated from the text she was reading??? That any mods, factory, dealer or aftermarket would be charged for, I asked if I was better to insure at the base price then (plus normal extras) and then state the wheels and suspension separately and she agreed.

Still does not sound right though :angry:

Andy

Guest Nosey_Ray Coole

Had exactly the same problem with Bell Direct---When setting up the insurance over the phone the question asked was "has the car been modified in any way?" My reply was "no, other than factory fitted extras" When the paperwork came in the question now read "is the vehicle a standard car?" I replied with the same answer and then received a letter from Bell saying that I had deceived them about modifications to the car etc, etc and that they would not insure me for anything other than the "standard car"---even down to them not paying the extra for metallic paint!!!

To give them their due they agreed that they were not the most suitiable insurance company for me and my car, offered to re-arrange the insurance, which thay did with Hill House Hammond, and refunded me the whole of the premium paid even though we now 2 1/2 months down the line

I specifically got Direct Line to add the necessary 'extras' onto the schedule in writing. My schedule states "Non-standard Alloys-fitted to a New Car, Leather Interior, Audio Equipment (Up To £1000), Air Conditioning". These items did not change the premium or excess, from what was originally quoted. They did not have an option on the system to add the OBC, Sill Plates, Heated Seats, though I told them in writing, and they confirmed that was OK.

So in the worst case, I should be fully covered.

Incidentally, I'm 37 FNC, no points - £820 for me and the other half, with protected NC, and legal protection - renewed at end Feb 03.

It seems like people are getting different answers from the same company!

I requested the transcripts of all conversations that I have had with my insurer (TESCO).. as they have completely b@lls'd up my policies... Both the SAAB Aero and the S are through them... Initial conversation... no tracker required and we will transfer the 3 yrs no claims to the Porsche from the SAAB which means your policy will be £60 mor expensive for the SAAB... bringing it to £614.25 and the policy for the Boxster S will be £1214.85,,, fine says I go for that... and then the poilcy comes out , firstly requesting proof of a TRACKER fitted to Boxster along with proof of 5 years no claims (don't know where that came from)... Also the policy for the SAAB showed 3 years no claims and of course we transferred this to the Porsche policy as per original conversation.. Now TESCO are requesting another £594 on top of the £614.25 for the SAAB and also advised that there will be a massive hike in the price of the Porsche insurance... Happy? Am I b*ll*x and this is going all the way to the ombudsman... they are also humming and haring about releasing transcripts, however, the guy in THEIR customer services informs me that I have been mis-informed on more than one occassion...

I have now had the TRACKER Monitor installed at the cost 0f £460 give or take a few quid... And now to be advised that I could be looking at another £800 quid on top of my polocies is a bit hard to take.. They get your deposit and a month or so of premiums and then the shafting begins...

Someone needs to sort them out..... if this was America some crazed sod would have walked in and shot someone by now... that might shake things up in the industry a bit.

Geordie "no money"

Archived