AOS and oily/petrol-y smell

zcacogp

Guys, 

I changed the AOS on my 987.1 non-S about 400 miles ago as I thought it was kaputt. Why did I think this? The car produced a strong oily/petrol-y smell, particularly when hot, and the oil filler cap was hard to remove when the engine was running. On removing the AOS I also discovered that the hard corrugated plastic pipe from the AOS to the N/S front of the engine had perished and cracked so I replaced this as well (although with some all-purpose rubber hose rather than a Porsche part, not that it will make much difference). While it was all apart I wiped the worst of the oil residue from the inside of the inlet manifolds and plenum chamber with a clean rag. 

Now, about 400 or so miles later the oily/petrol-y smell is abating but hasn't gone entirely. How long does such a smell usually take to subside after an AOS change and how long before I start to wonder whether there is something else wrong with the car as well? I had a good look around for fuel leaks when it was apart but couldn't see anything amiss. 

All wisdom welcomed, thanks. 

Thanks jasonmo. Looking at the figures it's probably only 250miles or so since the AOS was swapped so I'm still within the 'few hundred miles' suggested by your garage. 

It's slightly better every time I drive it, and I think that my AOS was properly kippered before I changed it (I sat on it for nigh on 9 months/6000 miles) so I'll not panic yet 

Thanks for your help.