Thoughts after one year of ownership............ 2006 S

Ti Rich

Bloody fantastic, in summary!

Took a risk on a 74K 2006 S, one owner from new purchased from Bradley Performance near Kidderminster. 

It looks like I purchased a good one. Not a drop of oil or water was used in 5K+ miles. Not bad for a 80K miles car.

Had a report done by Nick Giles and generally the car was fine. A few minor points have already been put right including a heated mirror glass that had a disconnected wire! A lot of suspension work has been done in the near past including new springs.

A new starter motor was needed just to a noise on start-up, done by Cotswold Porsche.

Minor service just completed by Zuffenhaus near Birmingham, no concerns, just an oil change and coil packs. Very clean under the car.

1000 mile trip to Belgium and the south coast to get the exhaust done by Carnewal - wow! Such a difference in sound but also the notorious flat spot has gone around 3500rpm.

MOT just passed, no advisories at all.

Upgrades done:-

Pioneer Double Din with Car Play

New door speakers and sound deadening of doors.

Interior LEDs

Exterior LED's

Detailed and 5 year ceramic coating applied by Eclat Detailing

After-detailing.jpg

Carnewal Exhaust with 981 Exhaust Trims

exhaust.jpg

Cruise Control retrofitted.

Rear reverse camera fitted.

Heater controls replaced.

Air con condensers were replaced and re-gassed by Black Country Porsche.

Zunsport Grills Added to front

Zunsport-on-987-Porsche-Boxster.jpg

There are so many bad news stories I thought I would post some good news. I seriously love this car. After years of brand new BMW's this car has made me smile more than any of them - even though they cost up to 5x the price. Average of about 30 mpg too, whats not to like!! Everything on the car works as it should. !st gear is a bit notchy when cold but that's about it. Yes, I have spent quite a lot on it in the first year but you know what - I don't care one bit!!! The car looks and drives great and hides its age well.

Some work planned over the next few years I guess:-

1. Clutch - perfectly fine at 80K but very slight leak on RMS (no drips on the garage floor)

2. Water pipes - no leaks yet but plan to do in the next few years. Maybe do the water pump at the same time.

3. Brake pipes - fine, no MOT advisories yet.

Overall, very,very happy!!!

• Like 9

Excellent news.... more good news stories than bad if you look into the detail. I'm still loving my 2.9 6-spd and she's nearly at 158000 miles.... changed the original clutch at 150k..... honestly. She too was a 1 owner car and i acquired her on 142k miles.... smiles per mile are really good value.... try a sprint booster and GanGA obd  tuner box for even more fun.....!!!

These cars are definately built to be driven and often.

Looks good after the detail.

Si.

Edited by skoosh1970

Great write up, mirrors many of my own experiences of two years ownership in my 2005 2.7, (also a serial bmw driver before this) except not yet addressed the exhaust. Not sure where in midlands you are, but I’m in Tamworth, be great to meet up for a coffee and share some experiences if you fancy. Drop me a pm if interested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eob said:

I could have wrote this same post word for word right down to the weeping RMS, except in silver. 😁

What exhaust tips did you go for? I'm going to Carnewal next week and I cannot wait.

I got some 981 tips second hand and Gert at Carnewal fitted them while doing the exhaust.

1 hour ago, Dosthilldave said:

Great write up, mirrors many of my own experiences of two years ownership in my 2005 2.7, (also a serial bmw driver before this) except not yet addressed the exhaust. Not sure where in midlands you are, but I’m in Tamworth, be great to meet up for a coffee and share some experiences if you fancy. Drop me a pm if interested.

Near Dudley so not too far away! Welcome to have a listen to the exhaust any time.

1 hour ago, Ti Rich said:

I got some 981 tips second hand and Gert at Carnewal fitted them while doing the exhaust.

Right, so thats the 981 tips.
Gert sent me three options:
66IG9xk.jpg
L-R 987.2 Sport, 981 S and 981 PSE.

I hate making decisions.

47 minutes ago, Dosthilldave said:

Dare I ask, what sort of money does Gert ask for the tips. I also wonder if my choices are more limited given I have the 2.7 single tip now?

Yeah. Quite spicy if I'm honest, but I don't love the standard split oval.
The 987.2 which he quoted me for was €660 😵 but he says that he's always got second hand ones available for €250.

I got my 981 tips for about £200 off eBay.

Yes, Gert charges about 550 to 650 euros depending on which design.

As far as I am aware they can be fitted on the 2.7

Edited by Ti Rich

6 minutes ago, Ti Rich said:

Gert was adamant that X pipes reduce flow, not increase it. His view not mine......................

He said that to me too, but I don't know if it was specific to cheap chinese:

"Avoid the Chinese made X or Y pipes as sold by Cup Spirit, EvoX , Fabspeed, Soul , designtek .

Just look at how they are designed and you will see that the outgoing diameters of each exhaust are restricted in the area where the pipes come together.  This reduces flow, sound and HP.

I have tested them all and the double T tail pipes from Porsche do not cause a decrease in flow, instead they increase the sound a little bit and the gas collision in the middle gives it a slightly more aggressive note.

With an X-pipe, apart from killing the flow, the sound becomes mellow."

• Like 2

I do like the look of those grills - 

guess pretty functional too? 

i seem to spend an awful lot of time hoovering out the leaves and shyatee that accumulate in the front air intakes, readying themselves to rot the rads.... 😂

are they silver, or is it just a reflection of the black mesh?

8 hours ago, BERGS2 said:

I do like the look of those grills - 

guess pretty functional too? 

i seem to spend an awful lot of time hoovering out the leaves and shyatee that accumulate in the front air intakes, readying themselves to rot the rads.... 😂

are they silver, or is it just a reflection of the black mesh?

They are the black version.

Your car looks lovely!!

Can I ask how thorough the inspection from Nick Giles was?

There is a guy on pistonheads that had him do an inspection on a 986 and he gave it the thumbs up-and turns out it had a long-standing head gasket failure/cracked head  amongst other things-apparently he doesn’t even lift the car off the ground to inspect it!!

Edited by And.rs1800

20 hours ago, And.rs1800 said:

Your car looks lovely!!

Can I ask how thorough the inspection from Nick Giles was?

There is a guy on pistonheads that had him do an inspection on a 986 and he gave it the thumbs up-and turns out it had a long-standing head gasket failure/cracked head  amongst other things-apparently he doesn’t even lift the car off the ground to inspect it!!

Difficult to say but I was happy with the report. It’s not going tell you the exact status of an engine but it gave me more info than I expected. It’s not a lot of money either.