Convex passenger mirror?

carl s

I've noticed there's a decent sized blind spot to the left rear 1/4 of the car where a small car can not be seen. Whilst the Cayman is better for this than the Boxster because we have rear side windows, I wondered has anyone tried fitting a passenger mirror glass from a LHD car that has the convex section to help with this? 

I've seen this commented on somewhere recently, and was thinking about it myself.

Someone suggested small adhesive convex mirrors.

I've just ordered a pack of two from Amazon, so that I can see parking space lines and kerbs etc, having kerbed the n/s rear wheel when reversing round a corner recently.

Don't know if it's just me but, the low seating position and poor rear view from the Boxster is the worst car for reversing that I've driven.

19 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

Don't know if it's just me but, the low seating position and poor rear view from the Boxster is the worst car for reversing that I've driven.

It's not just you, and it's not just the Boxster either.  However hard I try, I cannot get the Cayman parked in a straight line when reversing (now waiting for a barrage of abuse about the Cayman not being a true driver's car... 😂)

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Davey P said:

It's not just you, and it's not just the Boxster either.  However hard I try, I cannot get the Cayman parked in a straight line when reversing (now waiting for a barrage of abuse about the Cayman not being a true driver's car... 😂)

Cayman? Isn't that the poor man's Boxster? 😁

1 hour ago, Davey P said:

I think it's due to the rear arches sticking out further than the front and your mind expecting to align the side of the car with the parking space as if it was flat sided. It's almost an optical illusion that you have to correct for.

2 minutes ago, BBB said:

I think it's due to the rear arches sticking out further than the front and your mind expecting to align the side of the car with the parking space as if it was flat sided. It's almost an optical illusion that you have to correct for.

Light on moment here, I think that's probably right. 🤔

I've lined the car up against parking space lines on either side, and wondered why it's either one way or the other out of line when I get out which, if you're right, makes sense.

My Missus is becoming intolerably supercilious about my (lack of) parking skills.

21 minutes ago, cozzykim said:

Cayman? Isn't that the poor man's Boxster? 😁

No.

😂

3 minutes ago, BBB said:

My driveway has got block paving, so you would think it'd be easy to line up, but I never quite get it right. On the plus side, Mrs P has got sensors and a reversing camera on her EcoSport, and her parking is even worse than mine... 😄

5 minutes ago, Davey P said:

No.

😂

If it helps, I think that the Cayman has the best proportions and lines of any Porsche, arguably better looking than a Boxster or 911, though the 981 is far better proportioned than a 987 (IMHO).

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, carl s said:

Might help  with some of the blind spot 👍, but probably not with parking bays.

8 hours ago, cozzykim said:

Light on moment here, I think that's probably right. 🤔

I've lined the car up against parking space lines on either side, and wondered why it's either one way or the other out of line when I get out which, if you're right, makes sense.

My Missus is becoming intolerably supercilious about my (lack of) parking skills.

I have the same comment from my other half 😂 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

Hmmm.

Might be effective, but look a bit pony IMO.

Maybe there is a more elegant solutions'? (I just manually diploma my mirror as required at the moment)

They're a bit bigger than I expected, and I should have tucked the O/S one in a bit closer but I'll see how I get on with them.

• Like 1

Would tilting the mirrors down help with the rear view?  There must be a way to make the mirrors tilt down when you select reverse and then put them back to normal again. (without having the comfort pack fitted).  Any ideas???

Update, I bought one of the cheap eBay convex mirrors with blindspot section and fitted it today. I'll post some pictures later but it works very well and definitely improves vision to the passenger rear 3/4 so when overtaking as soon as a car disappears out of the passenger side window I can see it in the blind spot mirror.

Downside is that the quality of the eBay mirror is quite low, the edges aren't perfect and the size is a few mm smaller than the factory mirror. But it does include a new heating element and about what you'd expect for under £15 😉

Long term - I'll keep my eye out for a better quality one but for now it's serving it's purpose

• Like 1