Handbrake Help Needed

zcacogp

Chaps, 

The handbrake on my 987.1 has been giving grief of late and I'm looking for some wisdom. 

I changed the brake shoes about 18 months ago as a preventative measure (I was doing a brake rebuild on the back of the car and it made sense to swap out all the original parts.) 

All was well, until the MOT about 2 months ago when it failed on a poor handbrake reading on the driver's side (offside). I took it home, adjusted it and presented it for a re-test and all was well again. Having said that, handbrake efficiency seemed to drop off pretty quickly again afterwards. 

Until yesterday, when I noticed there were some funny clunking noises from the rear of the car and a dragging noise related to road speed. I took things apart again and found that the front brake shoe on the driver's side handbrake was worn out at one end, and there was some slight scoring on the inside of the brake drum. The rest of that shoe and the other shoe still had lots of meat on them. Everything was loose and clearly the handbrake wouldn't really have been doing much on that side (the disk/drum came off easily even though the handbrake was supposedly on.)

Here's some photos of the worn shoe and disk. 

AJFCJaUvrIn9d_l6QhHV-6KZo7SHAjLCCcdpmpnK

AJFCJaVwLqBk3pxtPLtlrSsv6BcPhoDz61xapHrw

My question is whether anyone else has come across this peculiar wear pattern before; I'd expect more even wear along the whole of the shoe and the fact that it is only worn at the end suggests that it may have been mis-aligned or mis-assembled. However it seems that there is only one way of making everything fit together and I can't see how it could be assembled wrongly. 

This is a rough layout of how things were put together; can anyone eyeball this and confirm that the various springs and whatnot are in the right places? 

AJFCJaVvCU2aJlI_46a4eFI-2NQnrO8wSYB7l3b3

If anyone has any suggestions as to what could be wrong then I'd be grateful to hear then. (Or, for that matter, any bright hints to make the assembly of the handbrake shoe arrangement easier as I recall it as being a pig of a job involving stretching springs while pushing them into place and swearing copiously .... 😖)

Thanks. 

If the retaining spring on a shoe isn’t installed right then the shoe can be at an angle and give uneven wear inside the disc but you’d expect it to be quite smooth. 

As it’s scored then you’d need to have something fairly tough/durable embedded in the shoe capable of scoring. The surface looks pitted to me so perhaps a small stone or something has done it?

A garage would say you need a new disc and replace the pair at the same time. I’d take some advice on that myself..

You also should have a clip at the base of the mechanism where the 2 shoes rest (987.2 does). They are about £13 each. The rest looks the same as mine 😀

Guys, 

Thanks for the answers. 

BBB - thanks particularly for that video link; it has a better sequence for reassembling the handbrake shoes and springs which made things much easier. 

Fewtrees, thanks also for your comments. Looking at your other thread, I hope that you made your handbrake work OK too. 

FWIW mine is all back together now. I think that I may have installed the bottom fore-aft spring upside down which caused the pads to ride down a bit, hence the premature and unusual wear on the shoes. However that's a guess and I'm not 100% sure if it's correct. Suffice it to say that it seems to work (certainly better than before) and I'm hoping for the best. 

Thanks again!

• Like 2