Claim question

I've had a prang in my car and am going through the process of getting quotes

reckon the claim will go knock for kncok so I wil have to pay my £500 excess

question is - say my quote comes back for £1000 - I am thinking of paying up myself as the additional £500 cost will be outweighed by not impacting my insurance for the next 5 years

NCB is guaranted so that is OK but quotes will still go up

I have told my insurance company but will they classify this as a claim with no fault attached if I pay myself and if so will it not imapct my future insurance record and renewals?

if it will impact either way I might as well get them to pay the £500

would welcome your views

Adam,

I think regardless of who pays, it will be logged - I had a non-fault claim before and it's registered on the system - whether it upped my premium the following year or not I don't know (prob did a little) but for a proper non-fault claim your excess has to have been claimed back by your insurers from the other party (ie other party pay your excess)

So if you've told your insurance company its logged now - might as well let them pay it - if you're on protected NCB you're normally allowed 2 claims in 3 years before premiums rise (with the same insurer though!) - the moment you move you get stung....

Good luck!

thanks Ben but that I knew

the question is will a logged incident where there was zero monies claimed have as little impact on my record as one where I claimed and successfully recovered all monies (ie a non-fault claim)

Don't really know that one - because generally if its logged, then usually there is a payout but an insurer!!!

I guess the technicality comes thus - if your insurer or new insurer asks the next time round "Have you made any claims in the last 3 years fault or non-fault" you could technically say "No" but you record will flag up as logged for an incident; so they will prob still acknowledge that an 'incident' occurred and that may count against a clean record ie no incidents or claims.....if you see what I mean - you got any friends in the insurance business you can ask?

I think the question will arise have you had any accidents in the last 'x' years rather than claims, so if your on protected NCB I'd get them to pay otherwise why pay for it in the 1st place?

yes this will be logged as accidnet as I would not be able to say "no" as you suggest - this would invalidate my insurance

got a quote for the repair for £1500 so I think I wil claim anyway

was wondering how this knock for knock goe these days - apparently my insurance claims for damage to my car and vice versa so logically the "cost" of the claim would be the payment my insurance company had to make to the other party (which will be cheap as their damage amounted to a new tyre and plastic wheel trim)

Archived