Checking coolant for antifreeze properties?

cozzykim

After the problems I had with leaking coolant caps and a one off overtemp warning, I want to double check the SG of my coolant.

I'm worried that there may not be enough antifreeze in it as it got diluted by topping up with water.

I bought a hydrometer, and then realised (duuuurrrr, thicko alert) that there's a level float in the coolant pipe in the boot which prevents access to suck coolant into the hydrometer.

Is there any way to remove the float and its plastic cage without breaking it, as I don't want to have to go through the rigmarole of taking the engine cover off?

Failing that, any other clever ways to get enough coolant out to measure its SG?

Ta.

17 minutes ago, GTSMarky said:

If you're even slightly concerned about the effectiveness of your antifreeze I'd flush & refill with new.  Cold weather is fast approaching!!

It's a simple check to measure the specific gravity of the coolant, once you can get some past the filler neck float.

There's definitely antifreeze in there, and I have a gallon of the correct mix to top it up with if necessary.

If it's too dilute for the likely low temps of this winter, then I'll have to have it flushed.

I have just measured mine . If you can get hold of a small tube , or Pippet, it can go down the side of the float in the small hole/cut out., then suck a small amount out. I used a syringe, to measure. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alank said:

I have just measured mine . If you can get hold of a small tube , or Pippet, it can go down the side of the float in the small hole/cut out., then suck a small amount out. I used a syringe, to measure. 

Thanks, yes, that's what I'm trying to do. 

I've been looking at the float carrier today, trying to work out how to get it out without breaking anything, but no luck.

Looks like I'll have to try to get some fine tubing or heat shrink down there to suck some out.

On 12/7/2023 at 10:40 AM, alank said:

yes i think i used some heatshrink  from work, on the end of a syringe i found in my local park, (not really.)

These are my solution, from Amazon not the local park, so obviously a cut above yours. 😁

PXL-20231208-230354537.jpg

Edited by cozzykim