Jump Start Fail

Clarky2

Hi All

Not used the Boxster much in the last few months and not enough power in the battery to turn over the engine when I tried to start it this week.

Attempted to jump start it off another vehicle today, but still would not turn over. The warning lights just flashed on and off rapidly accompanied by a loud ticking from a relay. I stopped as weird things also started happening with the electrics, i.e. the windows dropping at random. At that point I decided to retire with a cup of tea and post for help on here.

I do have a battery charger and maintainer that I haven't used on this vehicle previously, so I'm thinking about hooking this up next. Any advice or thoughts on what might have gone wrong when I attempted the jump start?

Thanks in advance.

Jon 

Sounds like you just have a poor connection from the car or spare battery that you have jumped from. A jumpstart with good connections and good leads works every time if there is nothing wrong with your car. I would revisit it considering the above and if possible and change to a really good set of jump leads.

A cheap multi meter is your friend if phased ideas don't make any progress...fingers crossed but an unused battery during cold winter months don't bode well for battery longevity 😞 depending on the age of the present battery of course 🙂

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Sounds like you just have a poor connection from the car or spare battery that you have jumped from. A jumpstart with good connections and good leads works every time if there is nothing wrong with your car. I would revisit it considering the above and if possible and change to a really good set of jump leads.

^^^ this ^^^ 

Have fallen foul of cheap jump leads myself in the past.  

I had this when I tried to jump my dad’s Fabia. In the end I just left my car running connected to his car via the jump leads for 20 mins to give his battery a bit of juice so it wasn’t draining the current during the jump start. It started fine after this.

• Like 1