Light flywheel….

fewtrees

That makes a mockery of the 'Americans only have straight roads' myth - I would LOVE to live wherever that is...

Doesn't sound much faster revving than normal, although I'm sure it is...

I've watched the second one before. If my clutch dies I'm def going light clutch/flywheel. 👍

15 minutes ago, fizz said:

also having just watched that whole vid... as a 986 S owner with a 987 shifter swap im still jealous of his gearbox throws! 

Cut 2 inches off your gear lever. Honest.....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ninesomething said:

Yeah seems like it. Wonder if I could get away with that...

Exactly 

We can reuse the flywheel when changing clutch so why not the other way round?

My 996 with LWFW also has a lighter racey clutch so I'd be interested to know how much smoother a standard clutch would drive with the LWFW

Further research seems to say that the Sachs sprung performance clutch soaks up some of the crank/trans vibe and smooths and quietens things. There's also a theory that using a stock plate can actually cause the crank to break in early cars (like mine) because the crank isn't forged like it is in the 981 and `may` not be able to take the vibes. Seems a bit far-fetched but apparently there have been broken cranks. There's an article about it on the flat 6 motorsports website. Haven't read it. There are also people who say they've had them for ages with no probs. 

17 hours ago, Ninesomething said:

Further research seems to say that the Sachs sprung performance clutch soaks up some of the crank/trans vibe and smooths and quietens things. There's also a theory that using a stock plate can actually cause the crank to break in early cars (like mine) because the crank isn't forged like it is in the 981 and `may` not be able to take the vibes. Seems a bit far-fetched but apparently there have been broken cranks. There's an article about it on the flat 6 motorsports website. Haven't read it. There are also people who say they've had them for ages with no probs. 

My 996 CSR had its LWFW fitted in 2015. It's a 2001 3.4 C2.

21 minutes ago, Ninesomething said:

Is that before you owned it? Just wondered if you had a before/after comparison. Also do you know if it has the OE plate?

Bought it as is.

Receipts talk about lightweight clutch also so I'd say No but anything could have changed since then. It's a bit snappy. Couple of friends have driven it and didn't like the clutch. When I first got the car occasionally I gave it too much revs to get off the line and that resulted in a bit of clutch smell. So that's why I think it's not OE.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...