Sticky clutch pedal question

BS62

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any experience of this. My boxster (03 S) lives in a garage so isn't outside overnight very often. Took it away this weekend (roadtrip in Wales) and had an amazing time, it performed incredibly well and was absolutely sublime. 

However on Sunday morning after being outside overnight (temps got down to 3 or 4 degrees C), I got in to start it and the clutch pedal was weird. It depressed as normal but when I took my foot off the pedal it only came back up about half way. 

Gave it a little nudge up with my toe and it came back up. Needed fuel so did a short 5 mile drive carefully to a petrol station, and as it warmed up it got better.

At first when it was stone cold the pedal felt quite light, only returned half way, the bite point was really low, and it needed a nudge to come all the way back up.

Gradually with a few changes and as it warmed up the pedal got firmer, it started to return all the way up on its own, and then by the time it was up to temp the pedal was completely normal again and has been ever since.

There was and is no slip, I drove 250miles home on motorways as normal with no issues; and I've given the car a bit of a back road beasting and it was flawless. It's fine today too. It's almost as though it never happened.

For context: the clutch was replaced about 5 years ago and has been perfect in the almost 3 years I've owned it. The brake fluid is a couple of years old and due a change - it's done a trackday in the last 6 months and did get quite hot; front pads also due a change as they're low.

Could it be the hydraulic fluid past its best? Anyone had a similar experience? 

Could be an issue with the clutch slave but I’d try flushing and bleeding the clutch first. Although the reservoir is shared, this isn't routinely done when brake fluid is replaced as it’s quite hard to get your arm up through the suspension and to the bleed nipple. 

I did mine a few months ago and although I didn’t have your symptoms, the clutch ‘action’ was a lot smoother afterwards.

Edited by Gwsinc

Thanks for the replies, very much along the lines I was expecting. It's going in for an investigation/fix so will be interesting to see what they think - will try to remember to update here.