Base Stereo - High Pass Crossover location?

Hainesy

I've got a 987.1 which originally had the base stereo in it (currently working with an Android head unit instead).  It has no amp, a single door speaker, dash tweeter, and maybe a center speaker (not sure about this as I don't see how it would be wired / driven?).  I'm planning on replacing the main door speakers with 6.5 woofers which include a high pass filter and separate tweeters.  In order to avoid having to run new wiring into the stock tweeter location on the dash I assume there's a high pass filter somewhere to separate the output from the headunit to the two speakers.  Anyone got any experience with this?  Is it easy to find / replace, or am I better off just replacing the tweeters with the existing wiring, or leaving them 'as is' and just doing the door speakers?

Was nominally considering installing something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-STAGE2604C-2-Way-Component-System/dp/B07QH6BXPY/ref=asc_df_B07QH6BXPY/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=535099071252&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17157381583090392036&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046203&hvtargid=pla-1088388132121&psc=1&mcid=de7b4aa9263036caa16ec2096aea9500

Edited by Hainesy

So partially answering my own question, found a wiring diagram for the base system, it looks like the tweeters are just tapped off the main door speakers, so I guess that they must have a resistor to act as a passive inline filter.  In which case I assume I could just buy a component kit and re-use the existing wiring without using the supplied crossover?

ByN4woL.png

I have just done this. I had to run wires back to the crossover that I put in the door from the tweeter. It's a Pita to do believe me!!!IMG-1858.jpg

Edited by Ti Rich

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Ti Rich said:

I have just done this. I had to run wires back to the crossover that I put in the door. It's a Pita to do believe me!!!

Did you replace the speaker wire all the way back to the head unit?  Would def prefer to try and avoid that if possible. I've ordered a set of Focal components with 6.5in door speaker and separate tweeter coming later today. I haven't looked yet but was hoping I could find where the front channel is split (i read it's under the dash somewhere) and then locate the crossover unit there which would mean i could keep the existing wiring. 

I managed to prise the original tweeter out but the wire just disappears down into the dash. There's a guy that does plug and play drop in replacement sets with custom mounts etc and it looks like he uses a capacitor / resistor in-line on the tweeter instead of a crossover unit, but as I don't know the spec then it would just be guesswork on my part.

I've also ordered a rear shelf conversion kit and a set of 3.5in rear speakers to add later on as well (i need to remove the centre console to repaint it so thought i'd run cable at same time. 

Am unsure whether i'll add an active sub yet, the headunit has an output for it, was looking at the Pioneer one for £130ish.

Edited by Hainesy

Hi Hainesy,

I did something very similar to what you are thinking,  although it was on a 987.2.

The tweeters are just connected in parallel with the other speakers,  on close inspection of the tweeters they have a 4.7uf capacitor in series,  this in effect is the high-pass filter. Ther is no separate crossover unit.

I changed mine for Focal TAM units, using all the existing wiring but used a 10uf capacitor due to the difference in the tweeters performance. I also 3D printed new mounts for the tweeters,  as they are just a big bigger than the originals. 

The Focal speakers sound great so it was a good modification. 

20240426_135008.jpg

1 hour ago, Hainesy said:

Did you replace the speaker wire all the way back to the head unit?  Would def prefer to try and avoid that if possible. I've ordered a set of Focal components with 6.5in door speaker and separate tweeter coming later today. I haven't looked yet but was hoping I could find where the front channel is split (i read it's under the dash somewhere) and then locate the crossover unit there which would mean i could keep the existing wiring. 

I managed to prise the original tweeter out but the wire just disappears down into the dash. There's a guy that does plug and play drop in replacement sets with custom mounts etc and it looks like he uses a capacitor / resistor in-line on the tweeter instead of a crossover unit, but as I don't know the spec then it would just be guesswork on my part.

I've also ordered a rear shelf conversion kit and a set of 3.5in rear speakers to add later on as well (i need to remove the centre console to repaint it so thought i'd run cable at same time. 

Am unsure whether i'll add an active sub yet, the headunit has an output for it, was looking at the Pioneer one for £130ish.

I ran new wires from the door crossover back to the tweeter.

I also did rear speakers, see my thread on the fitment.

i also added a sub but could not find an active one that fitted well. See my thread on the build and you can see what solution I can up with.

• Thanks 1