Insurance, when you have extra's

Guest Wazza

Guest Wazza

Following help on this site I tried to get quotes (e-sure, etc.) for my Boxter, but as soon as I say I've got factory fit 18" alloys and other "non-standard spec" extra's (i.e. AC these days!), they won't insure me or it costs twice as much. :angry:

To be honest there doesn't seem to be anybody with "standard manufacturing spec" Boxter's - so how are you all getting insurance on these companies?

Help - does anyone know how to get insurance that covers these items aswell? :blink:

If they are factory fitted, then the car is factory spec. and I do not think there is any need to mention them.

'a-hem.

Any one agree?????? :unsure:

My argument would be that the car was built with those wheels fitted,it's not like you've taken delivery of a standard car and then fitted wheels that aren't recommended by the manufacturer.

If in any doubt you could always take out the insurance policy and then ring them up afterwards and ask if there's any problem with your factory fitted 18's. Chances are they'll say it makes no difference otherwise they run the risk of you cancelling your insurance.

good idea

Hi Guys,

Im with Admiral, I started off standard and for each optional part I added they charged me more. In addition they do not insure the oprional parts and will only repace parts to the original manufacturers spec. ie I destroy one of my 18" alloys in an accident, they will only replace it with standard 17" ones. I damage my hardtop in an accident they wont replace it.

I had to pay about 50pounds for each of these options (all porsche OE)...

1) hardtop

2) 18" alloys

3) clear lights all round.

In all it sounds like a cr*p cover if all they want is bog standard cars only. I'll be looking elsewhere this yr when it comes to renewal.

Ajay

I recently asked elephant.co.uk about the same subject, and here was their answer:

The extras you wish to fit to your vehicle would be considered by us to be extras, albeit "optional extras".

The leather seats and air-conditioning would be added as "interior modifications" and the alloy wheels would be added as just that.

But I've seen other companies state that a modification is anything done to the car AFTER it is delivered.....so really depends on your company.

My sister-in-law works for a big insurer and she says the same, that factory options are not modifications.

Do you want to take the risk of not declaring them? :blink:

Hmmmmm..... This got me worried so I 'phoned Admiral and was told

anything factory fitted was not a modification. I'm fairly sure this is what

they told me when I got the quote, also.

I think that their use of the words "standard specification" is a bit misleading.

I don't think it's the same as "default specification".

I checked with the Halifax, Factory fitted options, do not count as modifications, you only need to declare anything that alters the performance of the Vehicle, which seems reasonable enough!!

Rich.. B)

Options are not modifications no matter what anyone says. It was my mis-fortune to spend 10 years working in insurance.

Be aware though that a modification is not just something can alter performance. Imagine the increased theft risk of a Nova with £10k ICE. Or the increased repair bill for a Micra with a trick 'flip' paint.

Pretty much anything fitted aftermarket should be deemed as a modification, but not consumables (tyres, brakes).

PG

I agree with you guys, but be careful as many options on boxsters are often added by the owners, eg changing the wheels / clear indicators etc.

I declared to admiral all options that I added that were not on the original options list as printed in the service manual. They included the hardtop (im not sure that would appear on the options list anyway), clear lights, 18" sport clasicIIs.

The dodgy bit about Admiral is they do not cover the modified parts, ie they will replace them to manufacturers original spec only.

Hello everyone, this is my first posting, so here goes!!

I am just about to take delivery of my 03 2.7, that is whenever Porsche UK finally tell my dealer where the car is, but that's another story!

Anyway after reading this thread I called Directline, who cover my present car (Audi S3), asked the question about factory-fitted options as opposed to after market mods. After much explaining, the girl spoke to an underwriter who said any non-standard options had to be declared, but when we used the 18" Carrera wheels as an example it made no difference to the premium I had already been quoted a few weeks ago. What she did say was that they have different codes for options fitted to a brand-new car versus options fitted to a used car.

What she has advised me to do is give them a complete list of factory fitted options when I want the cover to start.

Cheers for now,

Alan

Hello everyone, this is my first posting, so here goes!!

I am just about to take delivery of my 03 2.7, that is whenever Porsche UK finally tell my dealer where the car is, but that's another story!

Anyway after reading this thread I called Directline, who cover my present car (Audi S3), asked the question about factory-fitted options as opposed to after market mods. After much explaining, the girl spoke to an underwriter who said any non-standard options had to be declared, but when we used the 18" Carrera wheels as an example it made no difference to the premium I had already been quoted a few weeks ago. What she did say was that they have different codes for options fitted to a brand-new car versus options fitted to a used car.

What she has advised me to do is give them a complete list of factory fitted options when I want the cover to start.

Cheers for now,

Alan

I'm insured with Direct Line, and you are quite correct the 18"Carreras don't make any difference to the premium. HOWEVER the robbing B'sards charged me £225 because I had a total of £8,000 worth of extra's. They said that the colour - Basalt - the air con, leather, OBC were the problems, and this is why they wanted more cash. They also increased my excess by £300 for accident damage only (NOT THEFT), as obviously with Air Con/Leather/OBC I am more at risk of having an accident!!!!

Be dareful, because if you have a total loss, they will only eplace with a "STANDARD" car.

Has anyone got a standard boxster with NO extras what so ever? If so then you have a very rare car as I've never seen one for sale.

This is getting stranger by the minute! Of all the things to have an effect on the "stealability" and therefor the risk to insurers of a car is the external appearance, esp. wheels! The even stranger thing is, I told Directline the value of my car when they quoted me. Surely the price of the car gives them some clue as to the spec?

This must be the same situation for any prestige car, most people buying say a Porsche, BMW, Audi or Merc NEVER have a standard car. Does this mean that D/L would wriggle out of paying out on this little known loop-hole?

Legalised extortion I say!! :vmad:

The even stranger thing is, I told Directline the value of my car when they quoted me. Surely the price of the car gives them some clue as to the spec?

Had this argument with them and was told that customers regularly overprice the worth of their cars. I told them it was a brand new one, therefore I would have a spot on price, as it was on the invoice. They were not interested, and told me that unless I advised and paid the additional premium for the extras, they would only replace with a standard car.

Whats worse, If you look at the policy wording, it states that they will only replace your car on a new for old basis, if a new one is immeadiatly available. If it is not, they will only pay market value of the car at the time of the total loss. Like to see them get a brand new Boxster of any spec, let alone one as individual as each of our cars, immeadiatly.

Yet another way of making us pay "Because we can afford to" :gun:

That sucks! Luckily, here in the States all we have to do is give our insurance companies the VIN. From there, they can look up the spec themselves! Rarely do any options increase the insurance premiums, even aftermarket things.

-Paul

Hmm when I spoke to direct line I just gave him the reg and he asked about the trakker, no worries with leather etc or stereo.

However I was just glad to get sub 1k (945) all in with pncb as 24 y/o for my 2000 2.7 with Htop and leather/interior/stereo upgrades (factory).

However maybe my excess of £1000 made them more accommodating lol.

And relax.

I can reassure anyone with Tesco insurance that following my total loss I had a full pay out to the original value of the car (it was 5 months old) and I hadn't told them about the options that I had on the car (nearly 7k). They offered to replace new for old but I decided to take a cash settlement. :)

When I took out the policy they asked the question, "any modifications?" to which I simply replied "no it is exactly as it was when it left the factory" I don't think there was any missleading there it is a statment of fact, and they certainly didn't querry it when I came to claim :whistle:

I'm now have a 996 which has had a gt3 kit and sports exhaust :wub: (not performance enhancing) fitted by previous owner. The opc (newcastle) fitted these parts themselves for the previous owner and have said that they don't consider it to be modified as all genuine porsche parts fitted at an opc. The manager has said that he will provide me with a letter stating that it has been sold to me as a non-modified car. My question is, will this be sufficient for the insurance company if I send them a copy along with the full spec of the car? Otherwise they want £250+ for the mods! :o:o Robbing b'tards :vmad:

My question is, will this be sufficient for the insurance company if I send them a copy along with the full spec of the car? Otherwise they want £250+ for the mods! :o:o Robbing b'tards :vmad:

Nobby,

when you go for a quote with elephant they say: "If you are uncertain whether your car is modified or not, please check with your local garage."...so armed with your letter I can't imagine any insurance company would argue. I may ask my OPC for a letter like that myself. :D

Greig...

You can imagine the scene - due to some other drivers stupidity (not us,eh?) ;) your pride and joy is a total wreck. You call up your insurance to report it and when they ask you if you've made any modifications to the car, you accidentally mention the nice Ambi-Pure air-freshener you fitted to the air-vent not 24hrs previous. "Aha" says Mr Insurance "you've fitted a non-specified extra to your car, so your getting s*d all!". Just a joke, but who knows, it's maybe not as far from reality as we'd like to think! :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

Phoned Directline today to get my new baby covered, and they asked NO questions at all about mods or options, only the value of the car,so I'm left in that dilemma of should I call them and "come clean" about all those factory fitted options that only add to the price of the car, but not its desireability to scummy TWOCER's.

Oh, decisions, decisions :cry:

Following the lead of someone else on the board, I got my dealer to give me (via email) a definitive statement that "The car is not modified." With this is mind I called to change the insurance over to the new wheels and when asked if modified I answered with "the car is as it left the factory". Premium a lot less than my previous quotes.

My insurer is elephant.co.uk and they state on their site about modifications "if you are usure, ask your garage if the car is modified".....well the garage say NO!

I'd recommend this tactic to anyone!

Has anyone got a standard boxster with NO extras what so ever? If so then you have a very rare car as I've never seen one for sale.

:bana::bana::bana:

I'm gettin a nearly standard car

:busted: OBC , Heated Seats, n, 17s :busted:

I got my quote with halifax n Esure and both cover it up 2 £50,000 :detetive:

If the quote is about the same when my "may build car comes in july ish"

:smoke2::icecream::elvis:

Following the lead of someone else on the board, I got my dealer to give me (via email) a definitive statement that "The car is not modified." With this is mind I called to change the insurance over to the new wheels and when asked if modified I answered with "the car is as it left the factory". Premium a lot less than my previous quotes.

My insurer is elephant.co.uk and they state on their site about modifications "if you are usure, ask your garage if the car is modified".....well the garage say NO!

I'd recommend this tactic to anyone!

Hi Greig

I am with elephant also - I would suggest you take a look at the small print since it refers to non-standard options - you would be hard pressed to deny having any non standard options fitted unless you take the basic car as specified through the porsche configurator.

the acid test of course is at the point of claim and not the point at which you take out the policy - could be an expensive oversight and they are unlikely to cover you for any of the non-standard options (for example the alum. pack and CD are treated the same - interior modifications and therefore once you tell them about one you might as well tell them about the lot - no impact on premium for additional 'interior modifications' - equally you can have 18" alloys and an aerokit covered by elephant under external modifications etc etc).

For those in the know - the test case by admiral (elephant) went to the insurance omburdsman last year - found in favour of Admiral - they refused a payout on a wrecked maserati - owner out of pocket by some 40K because he invalidated his policy with them by not disclsosing his upgrade of the ICE to include sat/nav

Felix

Archived