trackers....worth it? Had yours nicked? pls share

closing the stable door after the horse has bolted or a worthwhile addition...

First alternative quote me 770 without one, it will cost me say 800 for navtrak, and 500 for trraker...

I've been told by people I know that drive a car in a nice corporate livery with lights on the top, and that get a free change of work clothes in a nice blue colour that some systems need line of sight with the satelight (the gps ones i guess) to work, others when they follow them dont give exact whereabouts just a square area that the signal is in (tracker) and some rely on a mixture of both (gps and gsm aka navtrak)...

Now for a little bit of economics....no snoring at the back ;->

Even if i have a 500 quid excess on my S, and i lash out another 800 on a tracking device (navtrak seems preferable...experiences anyone?) the savings on my insurance of around even say an imaginary 25% of 700 (175) would take me 7.4 years to recoup the notional cost of the excess plus traker if it gets nicked....by which time i would of sold the car at year 3 or 4...

Anyone been through this before? Are any of the prodcuts worth it? or is it basically a little late if your baby's already been nicked ?

Help appreciated as I've got to make a decision for next week before i insure it, first alternative cheapest so far with no tracking device..

Mark

Lucky gits - I was actually refused insurance without one !!?! However this probably came about as the Insurance company in question has interestingly just purchased Tracker UK !!!! Do I sense a nice little earner there ??? :gossip:

My personal opinion is that I feel safe now that I have it, knowing full well that it doesnt make financial sense. But lets be honest here, if you were working on the fact that things have to make financial sense, you would have bought a different car !!!! Thats what I keep telling myself anyway....

Lucky gits - I was actually refused insurance without one !!?! However this probably came about as the Insurance company in question has interestingly just purchased Tracker UK !!!!  Do I sense a nice little earner there ???  :gossip:

My personal opinion is that I feel safe now that I have it, knowing full well that it doesnt make financial sense.  But lets be honest here, if you were working on the fact that things have to make financial sense, you would have bought a different car !!!! Thats what I keep telling myself anyway....

my arguement to myself is if i cant afford it, i shouldnt be buying a 30k group 19 sports car ;->

Tricky one this subject, whilst searching for a quote for the Boxster many companies would only insure me with a tracker fitted. I eventually went for E-sure who don't give any extra discount for tracker. My tracker, think I got the 24 hour monitoring option and cost about £600 to fit and £109 per year. It hard to work out whether it'll pay for itself but at least I should know whether my car has been stolen if I go away. I've read stories here of tracker equiped cars which have not been recovered.

I bought a tracker because I believed that your car is either nicked by joyriders who will hopefully then totally destroy it as I would not like it back after its been thrashed or stolen by "professionals". In the latter case, I was told that the car is discretely left somewhere for a few days to see if its recovered rather than dismantled to find the tracker device. In the latter case I think I would like my car back rather than wait for the insurance company to agree to pay up, then haggle over what would probably be a silly valuation. Its then the pain of either ordering a new one and waiting or looking for a used one as good as your existing Boxster.

i had a Tracker Horizon fitted by Merc and i paid £100 a year to keep it on...

car stolen, not a dickie bird, nudda..nout...nish... nitto! complete fast IMHO, a nice earner for tracker as most ins companies require it to get insured, and im sure if i get another car i will have to have one fitted just keep mr. insurance happy... but as for retreiving my vehicle im still waiting - 3 months on....

Archived