Group Buy...New Warranty Available

I have a '98 Boxster with a 3rd party warranty, which is about to expire.

As I've just had a little baby girl ( :)) all I want is peace of mind in case my Engine decides to blow up....

I was about to go for the official Porsche warranty but £725 is a lot of money and like others on this site I'm reluctant.....so I've been phoning a few firms to find out what alternatives there are...

My existing provider have put me onto a company called InsureOnline, who offer a Gold Cover policy for any Boxster up to 7 years old with the benefit of a single claim limit up to the Purchase price of the car ! :):)

Prices are very good compared to the OPC warranty AND there will be further discounts for a Group Buy !

Premiums

1yr = £499 :)

2yrs = £649 :bana::bana:

The policy is underwritten by Europ Assistance - a very well established firm.

It covers all major mechanical and electrical components and from reading through it, looks like although RMS leaks would not be covered, Engine failure is.

Please let me know by responding to this post if you're interested asap as I need to let them know how many would be interested in the Group Buy - I'll then publish the reduced prices etc etc.

Personally I think £325 per year for the 2 year option is superb, OK so you don't get Porsche Assistance or RMS cover - so it's not perfect but it gives you the peace of mind re any possible Engine failure (which is very rare, but you never know!) and a lot more besides.

Also includes overnight accommondation, hire car, cover in continental Europe etc.

I can email a PDF of the Warranty booklet if you're interested, showing what is covered etc.

Dave.

Unfortunately it will only apply to cars registered in June 98 onwards.

I should add that if you are interested in this, please let me know by Monday 6th June as I'll be purchasing my warranty then (my car will be 7 yrs old very soon after - and clearly it's beneficial if we do go for the Group Buy...)

Thanks

Dave

Unfortunately it will only apply to cars registered in June 98 onwards.

I should add that if you are interested in this, please let me know by Monday 6th June as I'll be purchasing my warranty then (my car will be 7 yrs old very soon after - and clearly it's beneficial if we do go for the Group Buy...)

Thanks

Dave

I'm wondering if £499 is such a good deal? The Porsche warranty includes Porsche-assist thoughout Europe and the RMS and probably some other items that you may find yourself disputing if it comes to the worst! Also, if you happen to be self-employed your premium will be deductable from your turnover, so reducing the net cost further.

Just a thought... :mellow:

Hi Dave

This does look a great offer & I would go for it, however lack of the RMS (and the fact mine has gone twice in a year!) puts me off.

I'd go for it if there was anyway they could include RMS (even at full price)

Best regards

Andy

Warranty works provide RMS cover. Be interested to check out policy wording with "my work hat" on to see if it stacks up?

Perhaps you can PM me it when you have a chance.

Dickie

I have a '98 Boxster with a 3rd party warranty, which is about to expire.

As I've just had a little baby girl ( :)) all I want is peace of mind in case my Engine decides to blow up....

I was about to go for the official Porsche warranty but £725 is a lot of money and like others on this site I'm reluctant.....so I've been phoning a few firms to find out what alternatives there are...

My existing provider have put me onto a company called InsureOnline, who offer a Gold Cover policy for any Boxster up to 7 years old with the benefit of a single claim limit up to the Purchase price of the car ! :)  :)

Prices are very good compared to the OPC warranty AND there will be further discounts for a Group Buy !

Premiums

1yr = £499  :)

2yrs = £649  :bana:  :bana:

I would potentially be interested depending on the group buy prices. Any chance of getting a copy (PDF) of the policy.

The policy is underwritten by Europ Assistance - a very well established firm.

It covers all major mechanical and electrical components and from reading through it, looks like although RMS leaks would not be covered, Engine failure is.

Please let me know by responding to this post if you're interested asap as I need to let them know how many would be interested in the Group Buy - I'll then publish the reduced prices etc etc.

Personally I think £325 per year for the 2 year option is superb, OK so you don't get Porsche Assistance or RMS cover - so it's not perfect but it gives you the peace of mind re any possible Engine failure (which is very rare, but you never know!) and a lot more besides.

Also includes overnight accommondation, hire car, cover in continental Europe etc.

I can email a PDF of the Warranty booklet if you're interested, showing what is covered etc.

Dave.

couple of factors:

1) InsureOnline - limit up to value of car (so covers engine, £10-12k) - But no RMS cover (Or breakdown)

2) Warranty Works - Does cover RMS, but limit is £1k (for about £350) Extra limit to £2500 but costs about £850 which is more expensive than porsche, plus if the engine goes they will only pay out £2.5k maximum (£10k to pay yourself)

All round it looks like porshe is the better option because personally RMS & Engine are the two main factors to consider here.

We need an independent warranty company to offer:

1) Claim Limit - at least £10k, or value of the car

2) RMS

I'll keep searching!!

i am sorry but being new on here and just bought a 51 plate boxster i would like to get a warranty. Can i get porsche to sell me a warranty? or do i have to buy a after market one like the one in this thread?

btw

What is RMS

i am sorry but being new on here and just bought a 51 plate boxster i would like to get a warranty. Can i get porsche to sell me a warranty? or do i have to buy a after market one like the one in this thread?

btw

What is RMS

Myself and Dave have been checking out the policy wording via email.

We have concluded it is the best cover at the best price in comparison to other warranties.

I will be swapping to this when my Warranty Works expires.

I recommend everyone who needs warranty cover, takes it out ASAP and for as long as possible. Once claims start flooding in to the insurer, they may stop the cover or restrict it. This one covers the value of your vehicle which no other company does other than Porsche Warranty. And this is cheaper.

It is the best of a bad bunch!!

Dickie

Hi Bacardi

Porsche will offer you a warranty for £750.00 - if services all up today you won't have to pay another £150 for inspection. Because your car is so new I would really opt for the porsche one (as you get breakdown cover included etc..)

Independent warranty is better for older boxsters (IMHO)

RMS - Rear Main Seal - a little rubber seal under the car which is prone to leak (on pretty much any boxster) costs about £7.50, but you need to take the car apart to get to it, so costs around £400-600 depending where you take it. Personally if I were you, I'd go to porsche for warranty which covers RMS anyway.

Right, I've just come off the phone to the Warranty Company.....and the Group Buy deal is good !

If more than one of us take out the Gold Cover Policy at the same time, the price drops to £599 for 2 years cover ! That's a saving of over £850 on 2 years worth of Porsche warranty ! :P:P:D

I'm going to take out the warranty tomorrow afternoon (as my car is 7 years old on Saturday, which is their limit)

I've also asked them if the following are included and the answer was YES:

Individual claim limit up to the purchase price of the car

Unlimited number of claims up to the Purchase price of the car

Consequential loss cover (i.e. if a part not covered by warranty fails, and causes damage to a part covered by warranty - e.g. cambelt failure causes engine to go, providing it has been changed at the recommended intervals)

Covers Cylinder bores and liners (the most common cause of Engine failure of the 98 - 99 model cars)

Covers Big end bearings (another cause of failure)

Can take the car to ANY VAT registered garage for repair

No limit on the hourly labour rate for repairs under warranty (some policies do have this restriction). The only cost limit for a single claim is the purchase price of the car !

Hire car / Overnight accommodation cover etc etc (see booklet)

Basically it's good cover against the major possible causes of failure on the Boxster; please PM me with your email address if you want a copy of the Warrnty cover booklet.

We need to move fast if you want to take out the offer of £599 for 2 years ! Otherwise it's £649 for 2 years.

This warranty is great for owners of slightly older Boxsters who may be nervous about Engine failure (like me!)

Cheers,

Dave Barthorpe.

Right, I've just come off the phone to the Warranty Company.....and the Group Buy deal is good !

If more than one of us take out the Gold Cover Policy at the same time, the price drops to £599 for 2 years cover ! That's a saving of over £850 on 2 years worth of Porsche warranty !  :P  :P  :D

I'm going to take out the warranty tomorrow afternoon (as my car is 7 years old on Saturday, which is their limit)

I've also asked them if the following are included and the answer was YES:

Individual claim limit up to the purchase price of the car

Unlimited number of claims up to the Purchase price of the car

Consequential loss cover (i.e. if a part not covered by warranty fails, and causes damage to a part covered by warranty - e.g. cambelt failure causes engine to go, providing it has been changed at the recommended intervals)

Covers Cylinder bores and liners (the most common cause of Engine failure of the 98 - 99 model cars)

Covers Big end bearings (another cause of failure)

Can take the car to ANY VAT registered garage for repair

No limit on the hourly labour rate for repairs under warranty (some policies do have this restriction). The only cost limit for a single claim is the purchase price of the car !

Hire car / Overnight accommodation cover etc etc (see booklet)

Basically it's good cover against the major possible causes of failure on the Boxster; please PM me with your email address if you want a copy of the Warrnty cover booklet.

We need to move fast if you want to take out the offer of £599 for 2 years ! Otherwise it's £649 for 2 years.

This warranty is great for owners of slightly older Boxsters who may be nervous about Engine failure (like me!)

Cheers,

Dave Barthorpe.

Very comprehensive information Dave of the cover. I just wish I hadn't got 6 months left on my Warranty Works policy.

Dickie

Since my last post I've read the small print in even more detail, and I may end up going with the Porsche warranty. Below is a definitive list of what is covered by the 'Gold' policy I've mentioned throughout this thread. Thie list is straight from the Policy leaflet they sent me.

Note that Electrical, ABS, suspension components, cooling system, wheel bearings, steering parts are NOT covered. Neither is RMS, and all it takes is one RMS to go and you've effectivley paid the same as the Porsche warranty...

It seems that they have offered me a 'bare bones' policy because :

i) my car is over 5 years old

ii) I wanted a policy to cover me up for single claims up to the purchase price of the car (i.e. to cover Engine failure risk).

I may end up going with the Porsche warranty after all, expensive, but I think any other one could be false economy.

They do offer 'Gilt' and 'Platinum' cover which is more comprehensive - but with lower individual claim limits I think.

If anyone still wants the details of the company, let me know. You pays yer money etc etc...

(iii) “GOLD”COVER

The following specifically listed components are covered

against mechanical breakdown:

Engine

Failure of internal mechanical parts comprising cylinder head,

valves and guides, rocker assembly, push rods, cam shaft and

cam followers, pistons, piston pins and rings, cylinder bores,

connecting rods and bearings, crankshaft and bearings, timing

gears, chains and belts, and oil pump. Excluding: for

decarbonising, burnt out or pitted valves.

Clutch

Clutch drive plate when contaminated by oil leaking from

engine or gearbox oil seals only.

Gearbox

Manual or automatic: All parts including over-drive units.

Excluding: external linkages and oil leaks.

Differential

Internal failures on all types of differential.

Overdrive

(Where fitted) – all parts contained within the transmission

casing including, gears, shafts, bearings and bushes, internal

seals.

Front wheel drive assembly :nonono:

All parts contained within the drive assembly including,

components as listed under transmission gears and final drive

unit, shafts, bearings and bushes, driveshafts, oil seals and

bearings, constant velocity/universal joints.

Excluding: rubber couplings and rubber boots.

Driveshafts

All parts covered including, universal joints, bearings and oil

seals.

Starter motor

All parts covered including,armature,commutator and brushes,

pinion and drive shaft, bearings and bushes.

Alternator or Generator

All parts covered including,armature,commutator and brushes,

shafts and bushes.

Rear Axle

All internal parts covered including, bevel gear and pinion,

differential unit, shafts,bearings, oil seals and bushes.

What Is Not Covered

All oil leaks, filter elements,anti-freeze, oil and service items and

any parts not listed are specifically excluded.

Sorry if this post is somewhat contradictory to my last one this evening ! The lesson is, read it ALL, and then take days to absorb and think about it first before buying !

Dave.

IMHO if it excludes the car's electrical systems it ain't worth a jot. If you read the content of what is covered in the Porsche contract vs this, you are paying for stuff that is unlikely to fail and not paying for stuff that is. Everything from Variocam solenoids to the aircon electrics, soft-top motors etc is all excluded as I read it. The equivalent Porsche list is a pretty comprehensive list of just about everything except bodywork, door seals and the like.

IMHO if it excludes the car's electrical systems it ain't worth a jot.  If you read the content of what is covered in the Porsche contract vs this, you are paying for stuff that is unlikely to fail and not paying for stuff that is.  Everything from Variocam solenoids to the aircon electrics, soft-top motors etc is all excluded as I read it.  The equivalent Porsche list is a pretty comprehensive list of just about everything except bodywork, door seals and the like.

I thought they told you it was covered over the phone Dave?

Perhaps the question to ask is what exactly is covered? There seems to be more exclusions than inclusions.

Thought is sounded too goo to be true.

Porsche Warranty is the best but you have to pay for the warranty + a service of your car. That will be over £1000 before you start!

Dickie

Dickie

The key words are probably "any parts not listed are specifically excluded" whatever they say on the phone. And from previous posts worth checking whether your OPC would charge you for inspection prior to taking on the Porsche warranty. Seems to depend on OPC, service history etc.

Archived