Cheap Insurance Beware!

Like everyone else, I was looking for the best possible qoute.

Having read some of the posts I decided to go for one of the most competitive companies mentioned on these boards.

Due to a number of errors on their part I found out yesterday that I had been driving arround without cover for ten days. They sent me a letter saying my cover had ended six days after the event, and in the meantime

taking nearly £300 from my account, about 5 days after the cover ended.

So for two months cover it has cost me £400 and they say I cant reinstate the policy, I have to take out a new one even though it was their error.

They then said that as it was their fault, I would have been covered in the event of a claim, but I am not actually covered, but they would have paid out..now call me cynical but....

Good job I checked the mail yesterday.

My point is this. While we all tend to try to save money on insurance, the acid test comes when something goes wrong, then that cheap insurance doesn't seem so cheap after all.

Don't know who Graham97 is referring to but in my search for insurance have noticed that nearly all companies classify factory fitted options as modifications, and load the policy heavily - 15-20% of the non-discounted rate - my quote with Elephant went from £648 to £980, due to my options - 19" wheels and SatNav particularly, more surprisingly they classified litronics as 'cosmetic lighting changes' which are also loaded!!

This sort of thing in addition to the issue about where you would get a repair done on a new car makes me agree that 'cheap' insurance may do exactly what it says on the tin and absolutely nothing more!!

Don't know who Graham97 is referring to but in my search for insurance have noticed that nearly all companies classify factory fitted options as modifications, and load the policy heavily - 15-20% of the non-discounted rate -  my quote with Elephant went from £648 to £980,  due to my options - 19" wheels and SatNav particularly, more surprisingly they classified litronics as 'cosmetic lighting changes' which are also loaded!! 

This sort of thing in addition to the issue about where you would get a repair done on a new car makes me agree that 'cheap' insurance may do exactly what it says on the tin and absolutely nothing more!!

Regarding Elephant, i just learned yesterday that very few firms accept their 10 month accelerator as a full years worth of NCB and so disregard it entirely. Sure, it reduces the premium, but apparently you wont get a competitive renewal quote subsequently.

Regards

Popolou

Regarding Elephant, i just learned yesterday that very few firms accept their 10 month accelerator as a full years worth of NCB and so disregard it entirely. Sure, it reduces the premium, but apparently you wont get a competitive renewal quote subsequently.

Regards

Popolou

At the moment I'm not going to name names, as my point was more of a general one about so called cheap deals.

This doesnt mean to say that expensive insurance companies would fare better.

But some are definately better than others.

In hindsight I would have been better staying with Direct Line, even though their qoute was £600 higher and they wanted a tracker fitted.

I was also put on hold for 45 minutes to register with the complaints dept, and gave up in the end.

What is a 10 month accelerator?  :blush2:

your initial premium is for 10 months after which you are due for renewal and they will give you a full year's NCD

I'm with Tesco.

You do get what you pay for. Tesco insurance is run by UK Insurance, who also run the Suzuki insurance. My daughter had an accident in her 4 month old Suzuki, which was written off. It took the company over two months to sort out and send a cheque for the car (Early July - Late September).

My wife is with NIG.

It's about 10% dearer than quotes from Tesco. Her car was stolen from our drive a few years ago (recovered 4 hours later, but a write off), we received settlement (£1200 more than we paid for the car) in a day under 2 weeks. More impressive is the fact that Easter was within that two week period.

Araf

What is a 10 month accelerator?  :blush2:

your initial premium is for 10 months after which you are due for renewal and they will give you a full year's NCD

Yep, thats right. Its supposedly a quick fire method of racking up your NCB. Problem is, not many others accept it if moving on.

Regards

Popolou

A lot of folk on this board now seem to be with First Alternative, so it will be interesting to see now they react to a claim.....

....although, hopefully no-one will make a claim so that the rates for this model of car stay low :)

A lot of folk on this board now seem to be with First Alternative, so it will be interesting to see now they react to a claim.....

Not got a Boxster as yet but the above ins co are the most competitive ive been quoted so I would like to know who backs them and how they handle claims, so if anyone has info please do tell....

Not got a Boxster as yet but the above ins co are the most competitive ive been quoted so I would like to know who backs them and how they handle claims, so if anyone has info please do tell....

All direct insurers offer poor service in the event of a claim. Even NU Direct which my wifes car is insured with. (following a wall jumping out in front of her??)

If you want decent service, Direct Line and Churchills are probably the best of a bad bunch. At least they speak to you in English and are in the UK. Not India.

I would recommend you go to an insurance broker like the AA. If you use a broker you will get good service from them and they will sort your claim out for you properly. But you will have to pay 10-15% more for the priviledge.

In addition, regarding options if you use a broker they are more likely not to charge you extra. From my experience of having 18" wheels on my car, all direct insurers load it where as brokers dont. I insure my BoXa with Peart (www.peart.co.uk) who have a Porsche scheme with Royal and Sun Alliance. They were the same price as First Alternative and did not load my extras. Mine is due 24th June and cant find anyone to beat them. Service is good and they understand what you are on about too.

You pay your money and take your chance. :D

Gibbo

Just changed my insurance to the Boxster S which I collect on saturday and Tesco insist on a tracker! Luckily the Boxster S has one fitted but it will cost to have it activated :angry: the insurers offer nothing! Yet they want them. There is no sticker so no deterent! :licki: I'll change insurer when I renew

I insure my BoXa with Peart (www.peart.co.uk) who have a Porsche scheme with Royal and Sun Alliance

I was with them about 15 years ago on my Alpina. Never claimed, so I can't tell you about that side of their business, but they were always very cheerful when they were taking my money.

Worst insurance experience I had was when my BMW got nicked. I had to wait 9 months for them to pay up. Can't remember who it was now (it was 1992), but I was rather naive about insurance costs at the time and was actually with one of the most expensive companies going. Since then I've always gone for the cheapest I could find, and any claims I've had since then have been dealt with satisfactorily.

I'm with Tesco.

You do get what you pay for.  snip...

Araf

Which is absolutely nothing - unless you make a claim. I always go for the cheapest policy and I don't protect my no claims. I've been driving for 15 years with no claims so I figure I may have saved thousands of pounds over 'high street' insurers. For this I'm willing to put up with an enormous amount of hassle should I make a claim knowing that I have saved a small fortune over the years.

You pays yer money you takes yer choice. When it comes to car insurance I'm always going to go with who offers me the right cover at the lowest price.

Phil.

I don't shop around every year but when the price jumps so do I, however, when I got in touch with Tesco for change of vehicle they insisted on a tracker. as there was one fitted on the Boxster and I am changing part way through I decided not to move until the end of the policy expecting them to allow a set time to when the tracker must be operating.

No they insist it's not covered for theft or attempted theft until they have recieved proof.

My son just changed to Direct line from Tesco, saved money, no tracker needed( Tesco wanted one ), they didn't even need proof of an imobiliser, on a 968 and his cover seems better.

Make your choice :geek:

My son just changed to Direct line from Tesco, saved money, no tracker needed( Tesco wanted one ), they didn't even need proof of an imobiliser, on a 968 and his cover seems better.

I had a TVR Tuscan (no tracker) insured with Tesco. When I swapped to the Boxster they also said they couldn't cover me for theft until I had a tracker fitted. I cancelled the policy, got a pro rata refund, and then insured with First Alternative for a lot less than Tesco were quoting anyhow.

I think Trackers are a jip. You pay several hundred quid to get it fitted, then £100+ a year for it, if your lucky you get 5% discount off your insurance. If your really unlucky, your car gets nicked, and you get it back because of the tracker, complete with an engine thrashed from cold :weeep:

Phil.

Exactly, well said. Incidentally I've been with Tesco for the past 2 years with my X5, M3 CAB and then Boxster S and now having just received the renewal premium it's £150 dearer Than First Alternative, so mucgh for customer loyalty!

I've never really understood the point of a tracker. Seems like a nice little scam for the insurers benefit - you pay hundreds of pounds a year so your insurance company gets to save having to pay out. In return for your generosity, at best you get your car violated by a scumbag or, worse, you get to have it repaired after it's been used in a ram-raid. Doesn't sound like a good deal to me.

Plus any discount you get for having a tracker fitted is generally far less than the cost of fitting/running one.

Archived