Insurers warn on car alterations

Drivers who significantly modify their vehicles must alert insurers or risk losing cover, insurers caution. Changes include anything which affects a car's performance, safety, or the odds of it being stolen or vandalised. These can include fitting alloy wheels, built in sat-navs or entertainment systems.

Any excuse to not pay out, methinks.

Drivers who significantly modify their vehicles must alert insurers or risk losing cover, insurers caution. Changes include anything which affects a car's performance, safety, or the odds of it being stolen or vandalised. These can include fitting alloy wheels, built in sat-navs or entertainment systems.

Any excuse to not pay out, methinks.

To be safe, ay deviation from standard should be mentioned.

A long while back I had a mate who wrote off his renault 5 campus. He was refuse a payout because he had a tiny tiny 1" lip spolier in the rear hatch that was deemed non standard by the assessor. He didn't even fit it- the previous owner did!

Is this news?

With respect to the topic starter, nope its been the same for years and years, I think insurers are upping the publicity due to the number of people modding these days.

I only posted it because the BBC did. I guess its nothing new, but it does highlight the issue and if it means even one person saves themselves hassle with their insurer, then I would be glad to have posted it.

The hassle only comes when people aren't up front with the facts about the risk they present.

The view that insurers do everything to wriggle out of paying a claim is frankly a very dated one. Insurance companies are heavily regulated and as soon as the Insurance Ombudsman opens a complaint file, the company has to pay £500 regardless of the outcome.

Lots of people drop off the odd conviction here or the odd modification there; all too often because they're trying to save themselves little more than a few quid. At the end of the day, give them all the facts and they'll quote you a price (or not). If you don't like the price, jog on and keep going until you find one to quote a price that you do like. However, if you're economical with the information and get caught out and then get your claim kicked out as a result, that's the risk you take.

I've yet to come across a case where a punter has been completely up front from the start and an insurer has still walked away from a claim.

• 2 weeks later...
The hassle only comes when people aren't up front with the facts about the risk they present.

The view that insurers do everything to wriggle out of paying a claim is frankly a very dated one. Insurance companies are heavily regulated and as soon as the Insurance Ombudsman opens a complaint file, the company has to pay £500 regardless of the outcome.

Lots of people drop off the odd conviction here or the odd modification there; all too often because they're trying to save themselves little more than a few quid. At the end of the day, give them all the facts and they'll quote you a price (or not). If you don't like the price, jog on and keep going until you find one to quote a price that you do like. However, if you're economical with the information and get caught out and then get your claim kicked out as a result, that's the risk you take.

I've yet to come across a case where a punter has been completely up front from the start and an insurer has still walked away from a claim.

I couldn't agree more, as a 21 year old porsche owner I feel the hard end of the insurance stick, but they are providing a service, if i don't like the price then that is my problem rather than theirs.

I have actually just been on the phone with my insurance company this morning. My mum was a named driver on the policy even though she only has an automatic license. I was completely honest about this, and when I finalised payment over the phone i even clarified this fact tyo ensure it was ok. This morning a manager phoned and said that they cannot legally insure my mum on the car with an auto license and so the premium should be £300 more. But as I had been up front from the beggining with the facts and had not lied to them about it they agreed to wave the £300 and just remove my mum as a named driver.

If i had lied to them about the facts, I would no doubt have had my insurance canccelled/refused with little hope of a refund.

Honesty is certainly the best policy with insurers.

Archived