Second car insurance?

Ok, my new 56 plate Boxster will be my second car. I have done a search on the usual broker sites and with full NCD bonus the quote is between £500-600 per year. As soon as I enter zero NCD because my NCD is used on my main car... The quote doubles. Admiral comes out top at a grand.

It seems unfair that I ave to zero my NCD but hey ho......

Any advice is welcome. Are any companies favourable to insuring cars for low mileage second use?

I am considering selling car number one at some point but certainly not straight away.

Car number one is a newish C Class estate diesel.

I'll have to do some research this week. To be honest I may just sell the Merc as wife now has a golf which is proving to be a great family car. Decisions decisions....

We've got a multi car policy through Zurich Private Clients. Not the cheapest, but very good cover if you're building a fleet - full business use on all three cars, no mileage limits, any driver over 30 on the Discovery (now doubling as the Scout minibus), we can both drive any car fully comp (the in-laws aka babysitters are just up the road so we can swap cars for them to take the hoards out!), agreed value, pick your own dealer for repairs, like for like loan cars (what good would a Micra be to me if I the Disco has 7 people and three canoes aboard?) etc.

Adding the Boxster was £566 (both early 40s, no points or fault accidents, garaged in a town in Oxfordshire)

I was in a similar position to you. Give Bridle insurance a try quote was reasonable and made some allowance for my existing no claims on my other car and discount for BoXa.net member I tried Admiral multi car but worked out dearer than having two seperate policys.

Try Competition Car Insurance, my Boxster is a second car and they will give you an allowance for your existing no claims.

The cheapest quote I could get with zero NCD was £950.

My wife however got a quote from Sheila's Wheels for £680 for a 'second car'. They offered her 3 years NCD on the basis she has her Golf already insured with them with full NCD. That's quite a good deal and this is the way we were going to go.

But....

After careful consideration we are just going to sell the Merc. I can't really see me using it much now and it will just mean that we will have three cars depreciating on the drive which is pointless. So I'll just go for normal insurance quotes for the Boxster with full NCD next week. I'll try the forum sponsors too.

Thanks for all the advice.

Hi, I'm in exactly the same position but with a C saloon. If you are old enough! Saga will 'mirror' your existing NCD on a second vehicle.

Try Hagerty International. As long as the car is garaged and run as a second motor on a limited mileage policy, they were unbeatable for me. Had a TVR Chimaera a few years back insured through them under a classic policy that if I remember correctly, cost me £240 fully comp. They dont use your no claims either. Were superb to talk to as were all enthusiasts and based at Silverstone.

** Just noticed you've already taken out cover! Sorry! **

Archived